Firewall Feed-Thru Insulator

-

howco4

Reaction score
I plan on wiring my Dart myself. With that said, what to do with the rectangular connector hole that mounted the OEM plug and recepticle. Using a piece aluminum, 3/4" pvc conduit, & plumbing splice, (all cut to size), I fashioned a feed-thru insulator. All will be sanded and painted. This may not be much, but it might help those who are not using the original harness. ( Alas: a techinical break through). You will also need some PVC cement. Howard

adapter 001 (600 x 477) (450 x 358).jpg

adapter 002 (600 x 462) (450 x 346).jpg

Is there any reason why you wouldn't just use the aluminum, then a rubber grommet from the HELP! section at autozone?

I guess I'm kinda cheap. Also, I have had grommets deterioriate over time, with heat and age.

I guess I'm kinda cheap. Also, I have had grommets deterioriate over time, with heat and age.

Good reasoning, I suppose. I guess it depends on if you are happy with the look of the PVC or not. Since you are gonna stick with the PVC, It might be a good idea to bevel the inside edge of the pipe with a pocket knife or small file. Just to make sure there isn't a sharp edge to possibly wear down the insulation on the wiring!

Nice ingenuity though! I would have never though to use PVC.

So your getting rid of the feeeble/questionable/old bulk-head connector! I assume then, you are going to cut off the old terminals and splice the connections together? What if you want to separate the engine compartment harnesses from the passenger compartment harnesses? What about replacing the original bulk-head connector with another connector(s)? Food for thought!

I just drilled out the original bulk head connectors holes to 3/16" and pushed the wires through each hole. Looks stock but without the connectors themselves (weak link).

Good Ideas all. I just installed my junk box adapter, as well as the 383 today, (big day for me). I beveled the conduit with a rat tail file, and sanded and painted. Looks pretty spiffy.

Eng and Adapter 002 (600 x 400).jpg

It looks good installed. Congrats on your big day!!! Have you fired it up yet?

I know you said your going to wire it yourself but just wondering if you're going to use a kit? Like EZ wiring, or Painless. I know that my EZ wiring kit came with a round rubber insulator that you could pop into the metal plate that you made. I guess you know what I'm talking about. I might not be calling it what it truly should be called. It's like the rubber insulator that goes around the speedo cable through the firewall.

I havent fired it off yet, I need a new gas tank, and a couple of other items. We are headed to AZ for the Winter, so looks to be Spring before the big day. I have a left over wiring module from my street rod days, and I will use that. I've wired a few cars for other people, so will use what experience I have, with some connectors and wire to get the job done. I like to hide as much of the wiring as I can. It makes a nicer looking engine compartment. Will show some photos as I get it done. Thanks for the interest. Howard

-
Back