Firm Feel steering adapter update...

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
Dick at Firm Feel has been very cordial but he hasn't been able to come up with a solution to fix the sloppy fit between his power to manual steering adapter and my reman steering box.

I picked an old manual steering coupler off of ebag and received it yesterday. It was in rough shape - obviously sat out in the elements for years. Soaked it in Evaporust overnight and it cleaned up good - though it was pitted inside and out badly.

Still, it fit much tighter to my box than the adapter. So, I cut a spare shaft and added 2.5" of .75" round stock, rebuilt the coupler and re-installed the column. Works great, no slop, drives well.

Attachments

• Shaft cut.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 510
  • shaft welded.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 447
  • shaft installed.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 418
Nice work. I'm surprised there was any kind of movement (slop) in the Firm Feel adaptor. I've never seen one but I assumed it was solid steel with pwr steering spline (male) on one end and manual spline (female) on the other.

Nice work. I'm surprised there was any kind of movement (slop) in the Firm Feel adaptor. I've never seen one but I assumed it was solid steel with pwr steering spline (male) on one end and manual spline (female) on the other.

You can see the FF adapter in the second pic. It's a nice little piece. In my case there was a .025" difference on the big end. Dick told me he'd only seen one other case where the adapter didn't fit well.

And, by the way, there's no need to order an expensive coupler rebuild kit online. You can get the same parts for probably half the price through your local auto parts store by ordering Dorman "Steering shaft rebuild kit" # 425-253.

Attachments

• 425-253-003.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 392
-
Back