First build 73 Scamp /6 to 360

-

Hawkfan#12

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well since I am new to this forum, first time posting, and first build. This seems to be a good place to start. I picked up a 73 Scamp and I'm swapping out the /6, tranny and rear end. Since there is a 74 Duster with the 360 I want, I dropped the k member from the Scamp and was simply going to swap the duster k member. I believe I will have to swap the oil pan, but will the k member from the duster line up.

Might need to change the length of the drive shaft depending on if you’re reusing the same transmission too. The Duster has a shorter wheelbase than the Scamp.

Might need to change the length of the drive shaft depending on if you’re reusing the same transmission too. The Duster has a shorter wheelbase than the Scamp.

Thank you for any and all info/advice.

I intend on using the 727 tranny and an 8.75 rear end with a sure grip n 4.10 gear since we only run the 8th mile up here. Also wonder, since I'm lifting the body and rolling the k n 360 under, will I run into any issues with Doug's headers (D453's) I believe. The engine compartment is empty except for the top portion of the steering column.

So I got my combo in, 360/727 - 742 case, sure grip 4.10 gear on a 8.75 rear end. I tried the 54" drive shaft but was too long. I'm leaning toward 52.75 to give decent clearance on the transmission end. Anyone have any suggestions based on the listed combo . Thank

So I got my combo in, 360/727 - 742 case, sure grip 4.10 gear on a 8.75 rear end. I tried the 54" drive shaft but was too long. I'm leaning toward 52.75 to give decent clearance on the transmission end. Anyone have any suggestions based on the listed combo . Thank
welcome from North Dakota, glad to have you here. not much help in what you need but if you have some pictures would like to see your car.

Welcome from NC!
Tyvm, .she's still ugly but coming along slowly.
1535940072488360130987883882838.jpg
1535940103969301717556325895878.jpg

1535940150797978648547737797538.jpg

Takes a whole lotta rubbin' to make em purdy!

Indeed just gotta find or have cut the right drive shaft and I'll find out if I got her together right so far.
She's not ugly I like it. I have a stock drive line out of my 73 scamp it was a 318 with a 904 but not sure if it's what you need.

2nd picture measurement is from center of U joint on both ends. 3rd is end to end.
I hope it helps, I will keep it on the bench if you need anything else.

2nd picture measurement is from center of U joint on both ends. 3rd is end to end.
I hope it helps, I will keep it on the bench if you need anything else.

The 52 1/2 is perfect, and the 25 spline is spot on, if it will fit in a 727 tranny we're cooking. I'll measure mine overall as well. I currently have a 54" c/c.

I believe you have what I'm looking for good sir. I took a pic so you could see the length of the yolk...A 52.5 is the one, are you willing to sell yours.

IMG_20180903_084023054.jpg

I believe you have what I'm looking for good sir. I took a pic so you could see the length of the yolk...A 52.5 is the one, are you willing to sell yours.

View attachment 1715219320
Yes if you can use it, I run a gear vendor over drive in my car and don't think I will need the old drive line. You live in Washington State? and what part if I may ask I lived in Tacoma area most of my life and have lots of family there.

Yes if you can use it, I run a gear vendor over drive in my car and don't think I will need the old drive line. You live in Washington State? and what part if I may ask I lived in Tacoma area most of my life and have lots of family there.

Vancouver area about 20 minutes from the I-205 bridge to Portland OR. I looked at your ride and can only hope I get there. Little achieveable goals at a time. I do have some of the original parts from my Scamp if I have something you might be able to use.

Vancouver area about 20 minutes from the I-205 bridge to Portland OR. I looked at your ride and can only hope I get there. Little achieveable goals at a time. I do have some of the original parts from my Scamp if I have something you might be able to use.

I have the /6 which I drove home, ran good when I pulled it. Tranny shifted fine, and swapped out the 7 1/4 rear end. I swapped out the full steering column, and stock wheel which is in great shape

My brother in law lives in Vancouver Marvin P.
Can't think of anything I need right now. I went to the 1/8 mile drags Saturday and couldn't get any traction with my street tires and a guy walked over to me and gave me a set of slicks for my car for free and said this is what we do here help each other. So the drive line is yours no charge just pay for shipping.

I have the /6 which I drove home, ran good when I pulled it. Tranny shifted fine, and swapped out the 7 1/4 rear end. I swapped out the full steering column, and stock wheel which is in great shape
Hang on to the 6 they make good power.

You Rock, I am very much into pay it forward. I met a guy who played for the 1962 49ers that way. So how to exchange info next.

-
Back