First Freeway Drive

-

Boogercj7

Mopar Boot
Reaction score
Since the weather is supposed to be nice today, I decided to take my Dart to work. I'll just say that the drive was awesome!!! I still can't get the smile off my face 3 hours later. I can't wait to get an overdrive transmission installed now. She was screaming going 75 mph. But she sounded o so sweet.

I don't know your age but sometimes while driving on the interstate your mind will wander and then you realize for a few seconds you were back in the '70's...it's cool when that happens...

I don't know your age but sometimes while driving on the interstate your mind will wander and then you realize for a few seconds you were back in the '70's...it's cool when that happens...

Those are called "flashbacks"... :D

We won't get into what causes them... :wink:

That first drive on the highway is always sweet.

The rumble of a 340. The look on the faces of people driving rice burners as you pass them. The gas gauge moving faster than the speedometer :finga: And plenty of throttle left to go.

edit : fortunately, the gas gauge in my '74 doesn't work. 1/4 tank is empty, slightly above 1/4 tank is full. So I don't have to watch my gauge (and wallet) plummet when I hit the throttle.

Well, the drive was at 5:30 in the morning, so not too many people looking. Really looking forward to the drive home this afternoon though. Temp is supposed to be almost 60. So I will crack the window and let the wind blow through my hair (what's left of it anyway) and enjoy the sweet sounds of my Mopar.

They do sound sweet going down the hiway.

Not only that the car moves ahead as you push on the gas. Its a PITA passing with these newer cars, got a GM V6 3.5 litler G 6 drivetrain. Its got alittle pick up but then I get in the 340 with 3.91 gear car and its zipping pass cars not even floored. You see people trying to move in to your lane after your car is passing by, lol

In the 2008 I be just coming up on them and have to brake down, this is at 70 mph freeway speeds

Motor Trend in 1971 was comparing the 383 R.R. with 3.55 gears to the 440 6 pack R.R with 4.10 gears. They said around town both cars feel about even so the 383 is the better buy but on the freeway 90 to 110 mph the 440 with 4.10's was much safer-moved much quicker but few folks drive those speeds

@ 90 mph my 3.5 V6 is all washed up, lol The speedo moves if you floor it but car doesn't feel like it picks up any speed, its got that electronic speedo that the computer controls, ha ha

I don't have a speedo in my fish but with the 3.91s I think the speed is about 2x the revs (ie 3000 = 60 MPH). Throttle barely cracked open at 3000, lots left. Wouldn't want to go far at that speed though.

What I don't like is the way people tailgate these days. I like easing down the back country roads where I live and people like speeding and riding the back bumper. I'll open it up and run away making all kinds of noise doing it. They usually stay back then. if they come back I floor it and break the tires loose. That does the trick.

Good on ya Booger!

For you 4 speed guys, ever notice how when your stopped on a hill more and more people will stop behind you on your bumper? I'm good with a clutch, but I still let her roll back a lil to make 'em worry.

What I don't like is the way people tailgate these days. I like easing down the back country roads where I live and people like speeding and riding the back bumper. I'll open it up and run away making all kinds of noise doing it. They usually stay back then. if they come back I floor it and break the tires loose. That does the trick.

Get that a lot on the mountain roads around here. Most of the time I am in the truck so I just droop my right side tires on to the shoulder and romp on it. Never have had any one tailgate me after that and they droop back FAST. :grin:

Good on ya Booger!

For you 4 speed guys, ever notice how when your stopped on a hill more and more people will stop behind you on your bumper? I'm good with a clutch, but I still let her roll back a lil to make 'em worry.

I know what you mean.

My old '87 D50 (ex-daily driver) was a 5-Speed and people loved to pull as close to the bumper as possible. Nothing scares the crap out of them more than rolling the truck back a little bit :D

They also used to like to rip out in front of me with no warning... that is until i installed a winch bumper and 10k winch on the front of the truck. NOBODY ripped out in front of me after that, infact i frequently got "the wave", you know, where the guy in the other car is giving you the ok to go first. :glasses7:

The drive home wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Bumper to bumper traffic on the I 95 south. But I did enjoy mashing the skinny peddle to jump in front of traffic in the other lanes. Got a few funny looks from some grey hairs, and had a young punk in a Camaro with a huge wing on the back quickly disappear in my rear view mirror. Can't wait for the weather to be nice again so I can drive her like she deserves to be driven.

-
Back