First Gear Help

-

b67cuda

Reaction score
Hello all - I am a novice with 4 Speeds - so I need some help from you guys with much more knowledge in this department. I just installed my 4 spd in the car. It was shifting just fune thru all 4 gears outside of the car, but, now that it is in the car it does not want to go into first gear. Could this be a clutch adjustment? Is there an initial clutch setting proceedure I should go thru? Do RPMs effect first gear? Any other suggestions for initially setting things up properly after having everything apart and freshly installing.
Thanks for any help!!

Did you put a pilot bushing in? does this happem only when running, or shut off also?

Yes I put a pilot bushing in and it happens running or not running

Have you adjusted the linkage with the shifter in neutral and a long allen key or similar to adjust the rods?
Is the rod binding on the body/frame of the car?
Is this a 3 finger or diaphragm clutch? If its a 3 finger, make sure there is 5/32" space between the fingers and the TO bearing. I use a 5/32" allen key for this.

Have you adjusted the linkage with the shifter in neutral and a long allen key or similar to adjust the rods?
Is the rod binding on the body/frame of the car?
Is this a 3 finger or diaphragm clutch? If its a 3 finger, make sure there is 5/32" space between the fingers and the TO bearing. I use a 5/32" allen key for this.

Thanks for the reply - I do not know how to adjust linkage I guess Ill dig into the book and figure it out the more I mess around with things I think it is linkage - if I put he shifter in 3rd then come out and slightly to the left it will go easily into first but if I try to bring the shifter too far left it will not go up to first.

Thanks Bill

I belieave you have put in a guide in the shifter mechanism with the shifter in neutral, the measurment of the guide is given in the shop manual. You also need to have the gears in neutral, then you can adjust the length of the rods.

That´s how I did it and I haven´t had any problems with the gears.

Is this a new shifter Bill? Is it a stock replacement, Hurst, what?

My buddy (God rest his soul) and I were restoring a 65 Corvette a few years back, and the shifter would only go into 1st if you were very carefull how you entered the gate. Turned out the shifter itself was bad. It was machined incorrectly.
Now, you said it worked correctly when it was out of the car, but was it installed onto the trans at the time?

Good Luck.

George

Hey George - this is an inland shifter not the one I had in the car prior to the tear down but one I bought at carlisle with a console shift handle cause Im gonna put a console in. When it was shifting thru all the gears outside of the car it was not connected to the engine yet.
I will say it was in much nicer/tighter shape than my original mechanism - I still have the original if I cant get this one working right though.
Bill

It sounds to me as if there is a problem with the shifter itself. Of course without being able to see it, it's hard to confirm.
The problem we had on that old Vette was the shifter would start to enter the reverse gate when we tried to go to 1st gear gate. It was a reproduction of the original Muncie shifter.
Me not being familiar with the Mopar shifter, I don't know if there is an adjustment for this, but there was'nt any on the Muncie. The only adjustments we had were to adjust the rods.

George

all shifters get put into neutral, a rod of some sort gets inserted thru the shifter access hole on the side. then you adjust the rods to the length with the shifter pads(square blocks that the rods go into for the appropriate gears) and when they go esily in/out, add the clips, take out the tool you put in the shifter mechanism to line them up and your good to go.

all shifters get put into neutral, a rod of some sort gets inserted thru the shifter access hole on the side. then you adjust the rods to the length with the shifter pads(square blocks that the rods go into for the appropriate gears) and when they go esily in/out, add the clips, take out the tool you put in the shifter mechanism to line them up and your good to go.

I have never noticed a hole on the side or new about it for that matter. I'll have to check it out. Second gear seems to be pain sometimes and then sometimes it isn't ... I haven't figure that one out yet.

I have never noticed a hole on the side or new about it for that matter. I'll have to check it out. Second gear seems to be pain sometimes and then sometimes it isn't ... I haven't figure that one out yet.
You can find the instructions in the Plymouth shopmanual , atleast in the manual for the -67 year model. You can also find the size of the tool to use.

-
Back