First real ride out in my Petty Blue 72

-

Petty Blu 72

Reaction score
Finally changed oil using 20-50 Valvoline racing oil with zinc. I was told to use it because of the cam. Not really sure engine specs, last owner bought it already built with no paper work. Oil pressure when started, pegs gauge, then when warm is above 70psi. The dude I bought it from never drove it much over the past 7 years he owned it, but also NEVER CHANGED THE OIL! Anyway, this Duster really performs well. Took it out with a buddy of mine last night, after all warmed up, we stopped on a empty road, I applied the brakes, revved a little ( not sure yet what stall is in it ) then hit the gas! We lit those rear tires through the second gear shift! WOW, if I ever take this to a track, I need drag radials for sure! No traction what so ever! Of course, the tires are not new either.
Both of our middle aged faces were grinning hear to hear! Took us back to those olden days!:-D

Attachments

• blue duster engine.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Duster in Garage.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 153
Very nice car! Oil pressure seems high to me. Maybe it has a high volume oil pump in it and would be happier with a standard pump.

very very good looking duster

whish i could go for ride but
friday hade 1 feet of snow :banghead:
:crybaby:and today 1 more suppose to fall:wack:

Very nice car! Oil pressure seems high to me. Maybe it has a high volume oil pump in it and would be happier with a standard pump.

Not if he has a high pressure spring in it.

I've had some run as high as 100 psi cold start, then to 75 warm. I wouldn't worry about the oil pressure at 70 psi.

Great looking car, enjoy driving her. With that much oil press, you could go w a 10W30 oil w the zinc. Might lower press some. Here is a thread on FABO that rates some oils:
OIL OIL LAB TESTING What does it all mean??

-
Back