first suspension / steering problem with 67 dart

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
well i ordered up some leaf spring helpers just to see if something inexpensive would help with the rear suspension. as the c-clamps that hold the springs together are gone on both sides, i thought this might help. so i pulled the wheels off, added the leaf spring helpers and new gas shocks, and buttoned it up. suspension feels much better now and the car is raised up a bit in the rear end now, but now the car really pulls to the left when i apply the brakes.

i had been unknowiingly running on 1 collapsed air shock on drivers side but the car steered straight down the road and stayed that way when applying the brakes. i did notice a pretty good amount of power steering fluid leak and when i turn the steering wheel at all i get the croaking/creaking sound. i am hoping between adding more power steering fluid and checking all tire pressures that the issue will be fixed.

if not, is there something i can look into? just not sure why it would be ok with a bad shock but crappy when the leafs and springs were tighter - unless the front end was adjusted when the shock was collapsed, thus whatever adjustments were made to offset the collapsed shock are now more prevalant since the suspension was addressed?

ok added some much needed PS fluid and it helped a bit, however the car still dives pretty hard to the left under braking. again it was fine before i added the leaf spring helpers so my assumption is that i must have done something when adding them. they are prob not in exactly the same spot on both sides but pretty darn close. could this be the issue? maybe i should move 1 more fwd or back to try to get rid of the dive or should i add some sort of a shim on the left (drivers) side as i have read in other posts?

-
Back