First time out for the Dart

-

MattP

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to bring the Dart to the track. I was hoping for a mid 13 second pass but was very surprised when it clicked off a 12.98 @ 104.

I've got a plate waiting to go on it when I get a few minutes that I am thinking will bring it down into the low 12 high 11 second range.

Anyway.. here are a couple of vids.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SCxyf33ajc&list=UUj5I0Pyo674HZYspkgb3Vaw&feature=share"]First track day for the Dart. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipE5p4ZEGtw&list=UUj5I0Pyo674HZYspkgb3Vaw&feature=share&index=1"]1st Pass - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't build the car so I'm not 100% on the particulars. I bought someone elses project and have been taking care of the loose ends before going further into it. Unlike the Duster that I cleaned up and sold to a friend I think I'll be holding on to this one for awhile.

LA360 at 10.5-1 compression using Wiseco flat top pistons
509 "although google says it's probably a 508" purple shaft with crane lifters
Weiand aluminum intake
msd 6al
670 Holley carb
Holley blue fuel pump
TCI Streetfighter 727and converter
Hurst pro-matic 3 shifter.
3.55 rear end

I added a set of nitto drag radials to help it hook up.

Overall it's a very fun car to drive around which is what I was looking for. It's going to be a longer term "learn how to do a few things" project for me. The best 60' I was able to get was 1.9 even with the car hooking. I'm going to see what it will do leaving on the 125 plate before taking a closer look at the converter to see about leaving at a higher rpm.

Very exciting. ...
What might help is some 4:30 gears and a 28 inch tire, also a converter from reputable place too will wake it up. Its all trial and error I started running 13.4s now at 11.74...so keep tinkering have fun.also make 1 change at a time so u know if it helps or not. U should be able to take that bad boy in the 11s too.

Very exciting. ...
What might help is some 4:30 gears and a 28 inch tire, also a converter from reputable place too will wake it up. Its all trial and error I started running 13.4s now at 11.74...so keep tinkering have fun.also make 1 change at a time so u know if it helps or not. U should be able to take that bad boy in the 11s too.

Right now I'm running a 245/45/17 Nitto DR. It's working but I'm not sure how it's going to like the nitrous. At the very least I'm going to replace the air shocks on the back with something more appropriate.

Sooner than later this will be a turbo setup so that's probably as much as I will do for now. Most of my efforts will be focused on preparing the car chassis wise for that.

Just because it was helpful to write it out and build a plan I'll add...

I'm hoping to work out a recipe "FABO has been great for this" that will yield a 408 in the 9.0 compression range with around 500hp. That with a pump gas friendly 15 lbs boost should put about 700 to the tire which I think would push a trap of about 140. The 8 1/4 rear will be long gone. I haven't looked into what it will take to make the trans hold that power yet though.

Most of my FABO time lately has been spent searching about the longevity of the 408 vs the 360 in a boosted application and what suspension is working for people.

I'd make jet and timing changes first to see if you can improve the mph.

I'd make jet and timing changes first to see if you can improve the mph.

The engine does build heat at hwy speeds which according to FABO is an indication of timing and/or mixture being off. I'll be sure to check those out once this odd weather clears out.

-
Back