First time out

-
First off nice car!! secondly get that driveshaft fixed!!!..with that converter i'd be launching at 2800-3000,what are you running for tire pressure?? it can play a big part in getting you out of the hole,i'd bring that shift point down to 6200,i'm guessing you have frame connectors,drag shocks these will also help a "LOT" getting you off the line...Just for comparison my '70 duster with a 030 over 360 .513/.533 cam,Edelbrock heads,3800 stall converter leaving at 2800,with 4.30's, runs high 11.70's-low 11.80's and 60's in the low 1.60's...

First off nice car!! secondly get that driveshaft fixed!!!..with that converter i'd be launching at 2800-3000,what are you running for tire pressure?? it can play a big part in getting you out of the hole,i'd bring that shift point down to 6200,i'm guessing you have frame connectors,drag shocks these will also help a "LOT" getting you off the line...Just for comparison my '70 duster with a 030 over 360 .513/.533 cam,Edelbrock heads,3800 stall converter leaving at 2800,with 4.30's, runs high 11.70's-low 11.80's and 60's in the low 1.60's...
The driveshaft is fixed, can't wait to run it out the top end, haven't done that yet. It has 18lb pressure in the rear and 22 in the front. It has frame connectors and drag shocks on the rear, going to install 90/10's on the front today. 11.80's would be a dream come true. This is the first race car I've ever had and I'm loving it! What tire pressure do you run? Thanks, Tom

Tom,are those slicks or drag radials on the back of your car,i run m/t drag radials they hook best with 15psi of air...

The size of the converter can play a big role in how quick it flashes. Smaller diameter converters will usually get the the flash rpm faster due to the smaller size and less reciprocating mass. This can be important for launch technique. With my old Dynamic 3500 10" I would foot brake the car to around 2800, with my 8" 4800 I bring the rpms upto about 1500 against the brake, let off the brake and hammer it slightly earlier than I did the 10". The smaller converter reacts much faster and has a harder "hit", although part of that is because it is at a higher rpm. It works for my combo but may not on others. I still have not gotten to try various techniques so I cant say that what I am doing is best and other rpms may work better for me. You just have to try different things until you find what the car likes.

I run my Hoosiers at 14 lbs and don't see a need to go any lower, if anything i should probably try bringing it up a bit to see what happens. 22 lbs is too low for the fronts, I'd run them at 32-35 or whatever the manufacturer suggests. Lower pressure will widen the footprint and cause more rolling resistance.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.
Some more specifics about the combo would be great too when we get the new times from you!
Timing, carb jetting, etc.
Line locks are for burnouts, put it up against the brake and try different rpms to see what happens. Guessing from your combo and gear I would probably try foot braking to around 2000, lifting off the brake and put it to the boards as soon as the last yellow bulb lights.

i dont use a pinion snubber and i have 1.37 60 ft .... your shift point is to high.
what do you have the timing set at..

I know that they're more money, but consider an aluminum driveshaft. They weigh a lot less and actually will drop time off.

it will run better than that i have a stock 360 with a 904 and 430gears i ran 12.39@105

You will definately see mid 12's or better once you get things lined out. Your build is superior to mine in several ways to my old dart and it would run 12.9 with a 600 holly.

Good luck with it this weekend, and keep us posted.

My old combo was almost identical to yours (360, eddy heads, MP 509 cam, 10.7:1 comp, 3500 stall)….my car ran the same number shifting @ 6500 as it did shifting @ 6000…Lower RPM’s = longer life (in theory). Car looks AWESOME.

FWIW, my car ran low 12.4’s @ 111 mph in the heat of summer with that setup. The 60’ times were crappy (1.90), but I think it was due to a cheap converter.

Wasn't able to go :pale:. The furnace broke and had to use my racing money to fix it. Guess I'll have to wait till spring.

Who needs heat??Just kiddin,that sucks.3 Days after I bought my Dart Sport sewage backed up cost me 5 big ones and following week was Xmas.I feel where your coming from.Next spring you,ll do it.Gives you more$$time for improvements.Good Luck.

-
Back