First time removing BB cast iron heads in A body.

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
First let me thank everyone on this site for all the help and feedback recently. I've decided to do just about everything on my car's myself. In the past I would attempt some mechanical challenges but nothing like now. Rebuilding entire front suspension, swapping out TTI headers for tri y schumachers, replacing wiper pivot seals and the list goes on and on. Keep in mind I'm doing all this in a tiny, one car garage with basic tools and no lift or fancy equipment. Sometimes it is frustrating. I wouldn't of been successful and would of given up many times if it wasn't for taking a brake, asking questions and getting back at it. For that I'm thankful to everyone that chimes in.
Now for the question at hand. I was in the process of removing my old exhaust manifold studs as I am going to replace them when I move to Schumacher headers in my 67 Dart GTS 4 speed. The problem is while attempting to remove the header exhaust stud 2nd one back from the front drivers side I snapped it off flush with the side of the head. I'm not able to get a drill in the tight area between the broken stud and the inner fender.
Is my best choice to remove the head? I don't have access to a welder in my garage. I'm confident if I could get to it that I could drill it out then tap the hole to clean out any remaining stud material. I've never removed the heads on an engine before. So what am I going to need to replace the head when done? Head gasket, intake gasket,etc? I'm pretty sure the process is I'll need to pull the intake and carb, remove the valve cover to get the head off. Is there anything I need to watch out for? I also was thinking I've been saving my money for a while and have about $3000.00 saved up. Could I just replace the heads now with a better breathing hi-po aftermarket version. I want something that would bolt right in place of my stock 915 heads work with my Schumacher headers and would fit under my factory chrome valve covers. Is there anything like that? My motor currently has 650 street demon carb 915 heads Harland sharp roller rockers mopar 284/484 cam KB hypereutectic pistons about 9.8 to 1 compression. I figure what the hell if I'm going to pull one head why not both and replace!
What does everyone think? Is it straight forward to remove the the heads? I'm sure it's a pain in the *** but do able.
Carl

Thise schumacher tri y wont work on a 4 speed unless you send them to Accurate exhaust to be modified. My brother has a set on his factory 383 gts

Thise schumacher tri y wont work on a 4 speed unless you send them to Accurate exhaust to be modified. My brother has a set on his factory 383 gts
Oh thanks for the reminder had them modified by accurate LTD and black ceramic coated by jet hot.

I broke off a stud on my 360 and bought a 90 degree adapter for my drill and drilled it out, don't know if theres enough room to do it with a BB. Drilled out the center and left the threads and then worked out the thread remains very carefully.

I broke off a stud on my 360 and bought a 90 degree adapter for my drill and drilled it out, don't know if theres enough room to do it with a BB. Drilled out the center and left the threads and then worked out the thread remains very carefully.
Didn't even know you could get a 90degree adapter! Thanks

In fact, you can go to China Freight (AKA Harbor Freight) and buy a 90 degree drill for about $30. They come in very handy.

if you had the funds, I'd say go ahead and swap to the aftermarket heads. Trickflows will bolt right in and are said to be very good quality.

if you had the funds, I'd say go ahead and swap to the aftermarket heads. Trickflows will bolt right in and are said to be very good quality.
So trickflows seem to be good for a performance street car. The last time I had the car dynoed with the cast iron 915 combination I mentioned it put out 340 HP to the rear wheels. What gain roughly should I expect from the head upgrade? Also would I have to increase the carb from 650 street demon to something bigger? I also have about 9.8 cp ratio currently do I want to use a real thin head gasket like the OEM mopar steel gaskets if I go to aluminum heads or something thicker? Maybe Felpro? Other than totally clean off remnants of old gaskets what other pre assembly prep would need to be done before swapping heads?

So trickflows seem to be good for a performance street car. The last time I had the car dynoed with the cast iron 915 combination I mentioned it put out 340 HP to the rear wheels. What gain roughly should I expect from the head upgrade? Also would I have to increase the carb from 650 street demon to something bigger? I also have about 9.8 cp ratio currently do I want to use a real thin head gasket like the OEM mopar steel gaskets if I go to aluminum heads or something thicker? Maybe Felpro? Other than totally clean off remnants of old gaskets what other pre assembly prep would need to be done before swapping heads?
@IQ52 is the resident expert on heads and what a low compression engine can do with good heads. He'll be able to answer that better than i

-
Back