First Time Start....Melted Wire....Help

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
318 LA engine, new electronic ignition system, alternator, coil, plugs, wires, also a completely new under hood wiring harness intended for use with a electronic ignition...Turned the key and started the car for the first time in over 2 years. After priming the carb a little, engine started to run! Victory! My satisfaction was short lived. Once the engine started to run on its own, I started to see some smoke from the battery area. The secondary power wire from the battery started to melt from the battery post backwards towards the firewall. Luckily, I was able to quickly pull off the terminal and prevent any really significant visible damage. Only a couple of inches of insulation was melted away from the wire. I also noticed from the corner of my eye, when the car was starting, I thought that I saw some sort of spark coming from the general vicinity of the new alternator. I am using a new alternator with a 2 wire connection and the external voltage regulator. The electronic ignition system has 2 small wires for the alternator as well as the primary feed, blue and green. I used the blue wire, wrapped up the green. I am pretty sure my wiring to the bulkhead is correct. My thought is that I might have plugged in my ballast resistor backwards. I understand that there is a "run" and "start" position. There are 2 wires going into each side of the ballast resistor with a connector that could be installed opposite of what I have done. Is this a likely issue or can anyone give me some thoughts about tracking down my problem. I have included some images of the bulkhead wiring, ballast resistor and battery. Thanks in advance, I'm getting close here!
IMG-0163.jpg
IMG-0162.jpg
IMG-0164.jpg
IMG-0165.jpg
IMG-0166.jpg
IMG-0167.jpg

I hate problems like that .....hope the OP has a quick "aw haw!" moment!

Jeff

No Quick Aw-Haw...unfortunately..There is obviously a problem with the accessory feed to the starter solenoid somewhere. I disconnected all of the interior fuses in order to isolate the short. There are only a few wires going into the solenoid..... Accessory feed from the battery, jumper from the accessory feed post to the bulkhead connector (to provide power for interior), the violet wire that feeds the horn relay. There is the feed to the neutral safety switch and the yellow wire going to the bulkhead connector which I think is the solenoid trigger from the ignition. I got out my test light, rigged up a 30amp fuse in line from the battery and started poking around. Only my accessory power is hooked up, not the main power lead to the starter. Here are my observations: When I hook the test light ground to the battery, I have power at both the main feed post AND the single wire leading to the starter solenoid. When I touch the test light to the yellow wire, I hear the solenoid "click". My thought is that there shouldn't be power at the starter solenoid feed until the key is turned on and "bridges" power to the starter. The minute I connect the battery's negative post to the vehicle ground...POP, goes the fuse! The problem with the electrical diagrams I have is that the 1965 version doesn't have electronic ignition. I also have a diagram from a 72' Plymouth that uses electronic ignition. I have been able to plow through this restoration with the help of my FABO friends so far. Please give me some insight. Thanks

-
Back