first victim

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
been working on getting the garage set up to paint in as it is sometimes a hassle to do all the body work here and then load them up and trailer it to the paint booth. This was the first victim. 2005 Grand Prix. Painted it last night. Turned out nice. just unwrapped it. have to sand out a few pieces in the clear and buff it and it will be done.

Attachments

• DSC07182.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC07183.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC07184.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC07186.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 294
Tell us about your diy booth.

first thing we did was buy a new air compressor, 80 gal. minimum in order to sustain the constant air pressure needed to run the guns. Also wanted to make sure with the new compressor that we had as little moisture as possible so we ran new galvanized lines in the garage with a couple shut offs, drains and a couple filters and regulators. Probably ran about 75 ft. of line in all from the compressor to the point of where the gun would hook in. After re-doing the 2 cars the old compressor was just about shot. I went online and found a 3400 CFM exhaust fan and installed in the back of the garage in order to obtain a cross draft to allow the spray and fumes to escape while painting. I built a little box in front of the fan so I could stand 2- 14x30 furnace filters in front of the fan to catch the overspray and not make a mess. At the other end of the garage where the garage door is, I removed the screws that hold the glass in and took the glass out and went on the outside of the garage door and taped a 15x20 furnace filter over each of the 4 holes to allow the flow of air through the garage. prior to all of this, I cleaned the garage real good, painted the walls and floor to make sure there would be as little of dirt as possible. took a shop vac and vacuumed the floor prior to painting and also took a mop and a bucket of water and wet the floor not to allow any particles of dust to float in the air. The flow of air is just right. works sweet. Will post all the pics soon.

Attachments

• DSC07133.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC07134.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC07135.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 205
pics of the exhaust fan and the filters on the outside of the garage. you can see in the one pic the overspray on the filters in front of the fan.

Attachments

• DSC07164.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC07176.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC07132.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC07131.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 194
pic of the filter in front of the fan before we started

Attachments

• DSC07187.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 195
pic of Tyler spraying. as you can see if you have done any spraying at all there is not a lot of overspray with the exhaust fan running.

Attachments

• DSC07172.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC07174.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 225
Good looking set up.
One suggestion if you have not done so, place two wood strips on the inside of the garage door to catch the filters if the tape happens to let loose.
Had a filter in a garage door come loose one time, and had to re-sand and shoot the car over.
Just a cheap $5.00 preventive step.

Harry, haven't you got the Demon painted yet. I will be back down there to get the Demon but it will have to be a one way trip. LOL. It will have some company up here. That's a good idea about the strips. I will probably do something like that to keep them in place. thanks

Awesome job, on set up. I usually did my best painting in a familiar place, not a rented booth. Takes a lot of guesswork,and a lack of confidence, out of the situation

been doing it at the body shop where he works but it has been a hassle. especially how the weather has been this year. pop up showers can make you nervous when you have a $60,000 rod on a trailer heading to get it painted.

-
Back