Fist time for body repair.

-

999yards

Reaction score
Got to poking around the bottom of my quarter panel and when I was done there were large holes everywhere.

So I cut it all out and got my hands on some sheet metal almost as thick as the sheet metal on the car. Spent about three hours cutting and bending until the fit was pretty decent. Bought some 3M 08115 panel bond and clamped the top of the panel with some heavily waxed aluminum bar stock on both sides. The next day I wrapped the front around the wheel well inner lip. Then wraped the bottom and used screws to draw it tight. The screws will come out later. Just have to use some filler to flush up the joints and shape but overall it seems like this will work. It is very scary cutting out pieces of my car. The panel bond is some strong stuff.

Question is will body filler stick to the panel bond or does it need to be removed?

Attachments

• IMG_20150830_153557817_HDR.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20150830_181224316_HDR.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20150912_170627927_HDR.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20150913_141601316_HDR.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 194
Filler should stick to the panel bond adhesive. The "new" way of doing things is to put an epoxy primer over all bare metal prior to doing the filler, and then fill over top of the epoxy.

Yeah, that's exactly why I did. Got bored and didn't want to get into anything too involved now look what I got myself into.

Yeah, that's exactly why I did. Got bored and didn't want to get into anything too involved now look what I got myself into.

Lol, well at least it's solid now.

I have to replace the lower panels on mine. I have thought about doing the same thing, just forming my own.

Got to poking around the bottom of my quarter panel and when I was done there were large holes everywhere.

So I cut it all out and got my hands on some sheet metal almost as thick as the sheet metal on the car. Spent about three hours cutting and bending until the fit was pretty decent. Bought some 3M 08115 panel bond and clamped the top of the panel with some heavily waxed aluminum bar stock on both sides. The next day I wrapped the front around the wheel well inner lip. Then wraped the bottom and used screws to draw it tight. The screws will come out later. Just have to use some filler to flush up the joints and shape but overall it seems like this will work. It is very scary cutting out pieces of my car. The panel bond is some strong stuff.

Question is will body filler stick to the panel bond or does it need to be removed?

What guage of sheet metal did use?

It's very close to .020". Can't give an exact measurement cause the bat died in the only pair of calipers I have. But its a little thicker than my rifle brass which is .018.

-
Back