fix or part out

-

kh00054

Reaction score
Decided to tackle some rust issues on the Dart today, got out the old sander and went to town. One thing led to another, and I'm pulling the trim off the back glass and pulling up part of the vinyl roof. funny how things can get out of hand. But, was sanding and sanding, and noticed that this one spot on the pillar wasn't showing bare metal like it should. so more sanding, and then i realized that someone had previously, and poorly, replaced the roof on the dart (or so I'm assuming from the looks of it, haven't worked on the other side yet) but here's my dilemma. I love the car, but I'd rather not drive a death trap and not sure if it's worth restoring now with the roof being what it is. ...I think the car's been in a wreck long ago so not sure what other secrets lie about.
what's good on the car:
glass except for the driver windshield, interior is in good shape minus the carpet, bumpers were rechromed 2 years ago, new holley 570 carb, trans shifts good, new engine wiring harness, the trunk has not rust or holes, rims
what's bad: the roof is bad, there's a dent in the passenger side quarter panel, there is some rust in the lower quarter panels, the rest of the electrical system should probably be replaced, the speedometer works but is off by 10 mphs when you're doing 60

so i put some pictures up, any opinion would be great

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 133
It's all about perspective. Doesn't look that bad to me. just an opportunity to ditch that vinyl top and start a new paint job. I have started with a lot worse. Just depends on how much you enjoy bodywork, or how much the car is worth to you.

I've seen roofs and quarters a lot worse than that repaired,that's pretty minor rust on a 40 year old car.

The seam at the rear base of the roof is where the roof meets the quarter from the factory which was supposedly filled with lead when new but looks like it might have been redone.
Either way,it's definitely repairable.

These guys are right. Thats not bad for the age. If youre not up to it, i would first try to sale it complete. I know the economy stinks but its possible. You will have lots of time tied up in stripping it to part out but should get more out of it. I just hate to see a runner in that shape torn apart.

Looks like a normal factory vinyl top seam to me. Vinyl top cars got Bondo, painted top cars got lead. Why do you think dealers were encouraged to order cars with vinyl tops? Looks to me like your worst problem is the filler panel between the back glass and the trunk, and that's an easy fix. Carry on with what you are doing. Looks like you're doing good work so far.

Kepp that momentum going! And keep us updated with photos. Looks like a very manageble project.

its a 72 dart its worth saving and u said it yourself i love the car

-
Back