Fixing a paint chip?

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. As the title ask, I need to fix a paint chip on my ride. Not sure how or when it happened. But I was just walking around the car and noticed a chip on the top of the pass. fender. It is down to bare metal and has some rust. I painted the car last summer Plum Crazy and have the left over primer and paint still in the garage. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Gotta do the same thing myself as I just made a chip in the top of my fender while working on the car. I am no body man - but I have done a few of these and each time get better at it. Last one was almost unnoticable after I was done. You basiclly replace the paint on a very tiny scale and then blend it in with some super fine paper or clay bar. In your case you may need to clean the spot out good first. Dab some color in the nick and let it dry a couple hours then dab on some clear until it is above the surface. Give it a day to dry and then go to work to level and blend it it. I was going to do mine today but it turned out kind of cold and rainy so I held off. The last ones I did the leveling and blending with a clay bar but that takes for ever. This time I bought some 2000 grit paper and I'll try that to start with and move to clay after the bulk is done.
If anyone has a better Idea I'd like to hear it too..

Feather edge around the chip with 600-800 wet sandpaper. Apply 2 coats of filler primer or glaze. Wetsand again with above sandpaper. Apply a light coat of sealer then the topcoat. Its not as easy as some suspect! This is the proper way.

If its enamel you can shortcut it by cleaning thoroughly with wax and grease remover and pick up a small soft brisle paint brush and dab the color on. Let dry thoroughly and wetsand with 1200 or finer then buff to shine. This will work but can be seen if you look closely.
Good luck!

I use a air brush for these fixes.

I agree, If its single stage you can get away with filling the chip, wet sanding it out and buffing. If its base/clear its a lot more involved.

sounds right to me.. i have to fix them all the time at work.
i usually get the color built up higher than the existing paint, then once it is dry..block it down with a tiny chunk of paint stick and 1500. you can block it down and get it smooth then dab som clear over it let it dry and block it down with 1500 to 2000. then buff it out. plum crazy might be a rough one to touch up without using an air brush as stated above.
one thing that might really help in your case to clean the chip of rust is a fiber sanding pen. i forget who makes them, cause i loose them all the time, but it is a retracting sanding pen. the tips are basically like stiff fiberglass shards. they work good for sanding tight areas and would help you get that rust out of that chip.
good luck

Fix the chip as stated, If its BC/CC you can back tape off the top edge of the fender and spot the color in and reclear the top of the fender. After it dries wet sand and buff it, The back tape line will disapear.

great point. would turn out very nice that way.

sounds right to me.. i have to fix them all the time at work.
i usually get the color built up higher than the existing paint, then once it is dry..block it down with a tiny chunk of paint stick and 1500. you can block it down and get it smooth then dab som clear over it let it dry and block it down with 1500 to 2000. then buff it out. plum crazy might be a rough one to touch up without using an air brush as stated above.
one thing that might really help in your case to clean the chip of rust is a fiber sanding pen. i forget who makes them, cause i loose them all the time, but it is a retracting sanding pen. the tips are basically like stiff fiberglass shards. they work good for sanding tight areas and would help you get that rust out of that chip.
good luck
This is the same route I take. I've been doing touch-up for 15 years. Solid colors are friendlier than metallics. If metallic, you might have to lighten the color up. If you have a grip of chips, like the front of a hood, get an air-brush and lightly spray all your chips, then get some Prep-All(wax & grease remover) and lightly wipe the overspray off. If done properly, the paint will stay inside the chip.Its cheap,semi-simple and you will be suprised at your results. Good luck. Air brush-Harbor Freight $10.00/ Prep all- Auto Zone or any paint shop $10.00

-
Back