Fixing an A/C core with solder?

-

player1up

Reaction score
Can you use solder to seal an A/C core (the one in the front by the radiator)? Like you do with copper pipes? I've done a couple of radiators in the past using this method but I'm curious.
Thanks

nope , that is the condenser or high pressure side .Sorry

Can you use solder to seal an A/C core (the one in the front by the radiator)? Like you do with copper pipes? I've done a couple of radiators in the past using this method but I'm curious.
Thanks[/QUOTE
Head preasure runs to high to do that. Especially if your going to run R134a, They can run up to 375 PSI. But the good news is, that you can find these condensors at junk yards or swap meets all the time. I just picked one up at Garlits car show for 20.00.

ok so the one in the car is the evaporator and the one in the front is the condenser. Damn that sucks! :( looks like its time to let someone else work on it ... :(

$20 that is VERY resonable.. I found where the P.O. tried using epoxy to fix a leak, chisled it all off to find a nasty leak at the driver side hose fitting... I suppose it could be worse... could have been the evaporator leaking. then I would have to pull the heater box ... eeewww

HEY, Don't you guys have anything better to do on a Saturday than sit on here :lol: ok I'm going back to the garage.... Thanks for the quick replies!!

If you have access to a "good" welding supply, they will have a low temp
alum rod to repair it.
You could also have it welded at a weld shop.

If it's made of copper or brass you can silver solder it. The silver solder is for higher pressure, that's what they use in refrigeration.

-
Back