Fixing chips in the paint

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I have some chips in my paint that are only down to the primer. They bug me and I want to fix them but not sure how to go about doing it, its BC/CC. I know we have a lot of good paint guys on here so hoping for some input.

What we used to do is brush a little base in and slowly apply clear until it's above a little, let it dry then lightly wet sand, and then buff.

X2 Tear a matchstick out of a book , use the fuzzy end dab color in chip( base), mix a tiny bit of clear dab in the same way with a new stick ,maybe a few times to build it up, let dry and hit with a piece of 2000 grit and polish, you should barely be able to see it when done.I prefer the matchstick over a touch up brush because you can "stipple" in the base and work the metallic a bit.

Make sure to use a good flat block to sand the clear down after it dries good. If you sand & buff it it too soon, it might shrink down into the chip again a little bit after it thoroughly cures.

Make sure to use a good flat block to sand the clear down after it dries good. If you sand & buff it it too soon, it might shrink down into the chip again a little bit after it thoroughly cures.

When I get around to this Doug, you can check it out and let me know how I did. :D

Make sure it's good and dry before you sand and buff otherwise you'll pull the paint back out when buffing.

Here's the little 3M block I was talking about. They work great. They make discs for them too but I usually just use a small piece of regular wet sanding paper.

Might be able to find a better price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Finesse-...-PSA-Discs-1-1-4-Diameter-13441-/381204240872

They work and I have one somewhere,, but I usually clip a paint stick with side cuts and wrap a small piece of paper around it. Those little blocks tend to fall into tool box oblivion lol

Don't try to fill it in one application I don't know if it's correct but my car is white and I put some base in with the clear lightly sand and buff by hand

When you guys say apply clear, are you spraying it on or is there a touch up clear that is dabbed on?

-
Back