Fixing my grille

-

71 Scamp

Sick Boy
Reaction score
Everytime I look at my Scamp my eyes are drawn to this missing fin. I can't walk around the front without staring at that missing fin! F%*K, It's so annoying!

Has anyone tried to make a new fin? Can it be done? Or do I have to start looking for a new grille so I can enjoy looking at my Scamp again?

scampgrille.jpg

I remember reading another thread on here somewhere, and the person used a plastic repair kit from NAPA to do some repairs on his grill. Might be worth looking into.

Man, that repair would be a piece of cake. My grill looked like someone kicked it in. I bought some scrap pieces at a swap meet and combined them to construct a new grill. I'll look for my before and after pics...

Here are a couple before and after photos of my grill. I used a Dremel tool with a variety of sanding and grinding bits to shape replacement pieces, and epoxy to fix them. I then taped and sprayed with silver argent rattle can paint from Totally Auto. I'm still working on polishing the trim, and may repaint all black, but this gives you an idea of how easy plastic grill repairs can be.

Grill 01.JPG

Grill 02.JPG

Grill 06.JPG

Grill 037.JPG

Man, that repair would be a piece of cake. My grill looked like someone kicked it in. I bought some scrap pieces at a swap meet and combined them to construct a new grill. I'll look for my before and after pics...

Wow! :cheers: You would never tell, great work!

man..thats some excellent work...how can i fix cracks?

Very nice work
What did you use for an epoxy?I have found a product made by devcon called plastic welder.I have tried many many products and this stuff is just awsome.I have even made missing sections in a couple of grilles.I also tried it on fiberglass,where a guy had cut out the scoop opening(looked like he used a steak knife)It allowed me to reshape the openings and smooth it out real nice and it was strong as hell.

anyone have a parts sharktooth grill they would like to sell a section? send me a message. This is the only part I need. thanks jerry

DSC00440.JPG

anyone have a parts sharktooth grill they would like to sell a section? send me a message. This is the only part I need. thanks jerry

Suggest Texas Acres for a sharktooth that can be cut up for the repair. I cut the piece that's going in a little larger than where it's going. That way, I can file and trim to a more exact fit.

For filling gaps, I've used epoxy. My favorite is stuff that good hobby shops carry called SloZap. SloZap is a slow curing cyanoacrylic adhesive (think of a crazy glue with the consistency of shampoo) that is great for flowing into small cracks.

Good luck.

I repaired a piece like that using a broken signal bezel.

000_0960.jpg

000_0963.jpg

That's awesome. Did you use another grille for the replacements parts?

man..thats some excellent work...how can i fix cracks?

Cracks are easy to fix. There is a little flex in the grill, so I just kind of opened the crack and spread in a layer of epoxy and let the crack close on itself. I used plenty, knowing I could sand it smooth after. You can see the epoxy on the back side of the grill, since I didn't sand that side. I figured a build-up behind where it doesn't show would just add strength to the repair. Once painted, the cracks are invisible.

For epoxy, I just used the stuff that was available at my local Pep Boys. Not sure of the brand. I imagine any epoxy that says its good for plastic repair would work--or maybe I was just lucky.

I was also lucky to find some repair pieces at a local swap meet, so I didn't have to make my own. 72 Demon is exactly right when he said to cut the piece larger than you need, and file it down to fit. If you've ever worked on crown molding in your house, you'd know how frustrating it is to waste a piece because you've cut it too short.

Give it a shot. I don't have the tools or knowledge to do body work, and with the price of parts, I'm too chicken to try an engine build on my own. But plastic grill repair is something that can easily be tackled by anyone with a good eye for detail.

-
Back