Flaming River manual box

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
Anybody use one ( 16 to 1 )... Like it ? Hate it ?... Is it hard to get use to ? Bolt right in ? Do the tires rub > end stops ? Any info is Greatly appreciated ....
I tried finding a 20 to 1 gear for my manual box... but intergalactical backorder...
Thanks

I bought one a year ago or so and I love it. Real easy to install. I had to pull my header off to get the old one out but had plenty enough room to put the new unit in. If you are going from power to manual you will need the adapter though. My stock pitman arm would not fit either on my 73 dart. I can't remember what I had to go with to fit i have the recipt at home but the people at summit helped alot with that. You wont be disappointed in the flaming river set up. At least I wasn't.

Kemp ... is it the 16 to 1 ratio ?.... i am assuming that it is a manual box now ... how is to steer ? Was it hard to get use to with such a close ratio ? IS all the play in steering gone ? I heard that tires may rub when turning at full lock .. because these boxed don't have steering stops ????

Kemp ... is it the 16 to 1 ratio ?.... i am assuming that it is a manual box now ... how is to steer ? Was it hard to get use to with such a close ratio ? IS all the play in steering gone ? I heard that tires may rub when turning at full lock .. because these boxed don't have steering stops ????

If your car is still drivable and currently has power steering....just remove the belt and go for a spin.

I drove my 68 for a few years with the PS belt off cause everything leaked badly. I had an original 16:1 Mopar manual box on the shelf and knew I was going to convert someday. I eventually got all the parts together (original manual column, coupler and rebuild kit, etc.) and threw it in when I converted to 73-76 K front end.

On the road the 16:1 is not as quick as most modern steering racks. Nothing to get used to except increased effort at low speeds. With the Moog offset UCA bushings, all new front end parts, 2*caster, 1/2* neg camber, 1/16" toe-in, 215-60x15 radials, I have virtually zero slop at the steering wheel. Car is so solid at all speeds, it feels like it weighs 3 tons but steers easily. I never even noticed the steering effort on the manual 16:1 as it felt identical to the approx 16:1 PS box w/o the belt that I was used to driving for years.

its a 1969 Swinger with manual steering now .... factory ratio is 24 to 1 ... so i did not know what 16 to 1 would feel like .. but it sounds by the responses it is not that bad ...
I guess my last question is ... does the Flaming River box have built in steeing stops ? if it does not .. do the tires rub when max turned left or right ?

I don't believe any chrysler manual box has steering stops. The steeing stops are on the lower ball joint. It is the little nub that hits the lower control arm.

Gents ... thanks for the answers ... i guess i will be purchasing the manual box...

Yes mine is the 16 to 1. I would get one if you have the chance. Like I said I had a factory power steering car and never thought that putting in a manual box would make it feel better but it definitely did. The response is nice. You don't have to fight to turn the wheel either. I put a small diameter steering wheel on too (alot less leverage) and it didn't seem to hurt it to bad at a stop trying to turn the wheel. All the "slop" in the steering wheel is gone. As far as tires rubbing im not to sure. I also put on m/t front runners with 4in wide wheels at the time too so im not sure about a regular set of wheels. You wont be disappointed in my opinion, I would do it all over again if I had the chance.

-
Back