Flaming River Manual Steering Box

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installed my Flaming River Manual box today. Didn't have to loosen my TTI headers either.
Man, what a difference! The wheels would wander whenever I hit a bump with the factory manual box. Not this one. Acts like new car steering! Feels solid on the road. Tough to turn at low speeds but it's all worth it. I have P21560R15's on the front now but I'm switching to P19560R15's soon to see if that makes a difference in turning effort. The car is a '71 Duster small block if anyone is curious.

I love the Flaming River 16:1 manual box I put in my '74 Duster. Very solid, responsive steering. Parallel parking isn't my favorite thing to do, but I have 275/35/18's up front. Above 10mph it's great. Below that takes a little effort, but really it's not bad at all.

Yes they are a very nice upgrade installed one on my '70 duster 6 years ago:D:D

I was on the fence about it due to steering effort complaints. I really wanted the power steering conversion from Borgeson but it would have cost about $1000 with the required coupler, pump, and lines. I just couldn't justify spend that much coin. I paid exactly $499 at speedway motors with free shipping. On my doorstep in 3 days!

We to also offer a 16:1 manual steering box for $459 and free shipping within the US 48. Plus you can use your members discount to!

Manual Steering Box

Thanks
James

The box that we sell uses the 1 1/8" sector shaft. So from your avatar you have a 1970-2 dart? That year range use the small sector shaft 1- 1/8"

Thanks
James

Installed my Flaming River Manual box today. Didn't have to loosen my TTI headers either.
Man, what a difference! The wheels would wander whenever I hit a bump with the factory manual box. Not this one. Acts like new car steering! Feels solid on the road. Tough to turn at low speeds but it's all worth it. I have P21560R15's on the front now but I'm switching to P19560R15's soon to see if that makes a difference in turning effort. The car is a '71 Duster small block if anyone is curious.
Yes, It fixes the crapy factory wondering!!

is it an upgrade over the factory manual box
size ,steering effort etc ..

is it an upgrade over the factory manual box
size ,steering effort etc ..

Depends. The flaming river box is a "quick ratio" box, the ratio is 16:1. Most of the stock manual boxes are 24:1. There were factory quick ratio boxes but they were only offered for a couple years.

So compared to a 24:1 manual box the Flaming river box will have faster steering, but that requires more effort. It's the same number of turns lock to lock as a power steering box (also 16:1), but without any boost. Size is about the same as a factory manual box, the shape is a little different. The flaming river box has a steel case so it's actually a little heavier than a factory box.

This is my factory steering box compared to the flaming river unit I put in about 2 years ago. Notice the mounting holes on the factory one!
I was going down the track over 130mph with that damned thing!
It went in easily around the headers. I decided to use a solid coupler, steering is now very tight.
SteeringBox1_zps6e8b5851.jpg
SteeringBox5_zpse791a8a5.jpg

I just joined the form a couple minutes ago because of this box. I have a 74 dart sport and went to put the box in only to find I have to change the pitman arm and the link. Any suggestions? Is this box worth looking for and buying all the extra parts? Thanks

Is your car manual steering right now? Some more info would be helpful any mods already done. The box in question uses the small sector shaft 1 1/8" . So you would need to order a pitman arm as well.

Thanks
James

Is your car manual steering right now? Some more info would be helpful any mods already done. The box in question uses the small sector shaft 1 1/8" . So you would need to order a pitman arm as well.

Thanks
James[/QUOTE

I used Moog K7074 pitman arm to clear my TTI headers and Earl's custom 8qt. oil pan.

Hey James, what about is early Abody guys?!

I'm in the market for a quick ratio manual steering box for my '64 dart, but it's looking like they're only being sold for '67+ Abodies. :(

Depends. The flaming river box is a "quick ratio" box, the ratio is 16:1. Most of the stock manual boxes are 24:1. There were factory quick ratio boxes but they were only offered for a couple years.

So compared to a 24:1 manual box the Flaming river box will have faster steering, but that requires more effort. It's the same number of turns lock to lock as a power steering box (also 16:1), but without any boost. Size is about the same as a factory manual box, the shape is a little different. The flaming river box has a steel case so it's actually a little heavier than a factory box.
Hey Brian, what years were the 16:1 boxes available and how many turns are those lock to lock? 4?

Hey Brian, what years were the 16:1 boxes available and how many turns are those lock to lock? 4?

Oh geez. Um, I'm not super sure on the first one. I think they were actually '64 to '69? So, more than a couple years. A lot of the Formula S Barracuda's had them. I DO know they were gone by '70, that's specified in the option codes.

The second one I know for sure, they're 3.5 turns lock to lock. 20:1 boxes are 4.5, and the 24:1 is 5.5 turns lock to lock. The 20:1 stuff was offered as worm gear replacements by mopar performance for awhile, and you can get them from Firm Feel, etc. Not a stock option.

Oh geez. Um, I'm not super sure on the first one. I think they were actually '64 to '69? So, more than a couple years. A lot of the Formula S Barracuda's had them. I DO know they were gone by '70, that's specified in the option codes.

The second one I know for sure, they're 3.5 turns lock to lock. 20:1 boxes are 4.5, and the 24:1 is 5.5 turns lock to lock. The 20:1 stuff was offered as worm gear replacements by mopar performance for awhile, and you can get them from Firm Feel, etc. Not a stock option.
The reason I ask is I looked up the flaming river ones to see what kind of deals can be found on these and I found this one and it says it's 4 turns lock to lock so I went out and tried my car and it definitely "locks" when turning right where as turning left it's more of a soft tension that only lets you turn so far but it's right at 4 turns

It should be less than 4 turns if it's a 16:1 box. They're not exactly 3.5 turns, the ones I have are closer to 3.75 but all the literature always says 3.5 for them.

Oh ok. My box has slop in it anyway so even if it is a 16:1 I'd have to send it to firm feel or somewhere to get it rebuilt.

-
Back