Flaring ???s

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
I'm posting here as the relevant area has little traffic. So I bought a flaring kit to redo a couple fitting on my pre bent stainless lines that run from master cylinder to the prop valve. A couple of the fittings didn't match for my Wilwood parts. I heated up the line to keep it from cracking while flaring and that worked good. Only problem now is it wasn't double flared. Stainless is way harder material then standard or copper brake lines, will a single flare on stainless be enough without worries? I have read some guys doing 37* flares and using -AN fitting. Mine was a single 45*. Can I safely use like this? Any thoughts or ideas?

It won't fit properly with a single flare, you'll end up with leaks since all your hardware is designed to have double flares.

Stainless is exceptionally hard to do with one of those block style flaring tools. Even the good block style tools will have a hard time with stainless, if they work at all. More than likely what you'll end up doing with one is ruining your stainless lines.

If you want to flare stainless, I would suggest getting Eastwood's flaring tool. Not cheap, but it works like a charm. Here's the link.

If this is a one time deal only, you may just want to take your stainless lines to someone with a professional style flaring tool once you figure out what you need to fit the lines. I bought the Eastwood flaring tool, since I've got a few projects that I'll be making stainless lines for.

Thanks, I found the same tool from a different distributor close to home. If price is similar I will buy it. I plan to do a few more resto's in the future, will be handy for sure. Cheers

-
Back