Flash rust removal?

-

willyj

Reaction score
I have a nice freshly machined 360 that was on the stand covered. Over the weekend a water line going to my washer burst and sprayed hot steam and water for 2 days. I was out of town when it happened.

Pulled the cover off of my block and it is flash rusted. Bores are clean but a lot of surfaces are covered with a fine reddish powder. Sucks... oh well.

What is the best way to clean the block? I really dont want to have to hot tank it again and rehone the cylinders. Is there a spray and pray product? WD-40 and a brillo pad? What is the best way to get this block ready for assembly.

My new crank and hung pistons and rods are coming in next week so I would like to get it done.

This engine has been a nightmare. With being bored .060 over, needing a cylinder sleeved, a bent rod and a getting a new crank..... this is just another obstacle!

Oh well.... better then a crate block... right? ;D

I use a product called LiquiGuard as a phosphate pre-treatment under my powder coating. It's a great inhibitor and not only seals existing rust, but is pretty good at preventing future rust too.

http://www.liquiguard.com/powderinfo.asp

I'm not sure if it would work, but for $20 a gallon it's cheaper than hauling the block to the machine shop for another hot-tanking.

Best of luck!

I have had good luck with Evaporust. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $20 per gallon. They say 1 gallon will remove 1/2 lb of surface rust.

Here is the link:http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

I used Evaporust and a scotch brite pad. Took all the surface rust off pretty quickly. I then rinsed with clean water.

ok, i used Evaporust for the first time the other week, and damn it was great stuff. But then the instructions tell you to rinse with water, I did that and the next morning, flash rust.... :angry2:

should an inhibitor be used right after rinsing perhaps? I'll look into that $20/gal stuff

btw if your going for the gallon size, you can save $1 by buying evaporust on amazon.com. cheaper then straight from maker (go fig)

Many many years ago when I washed down my engine, I used lacquer thinner to clean everything. What I found was that after cleaning with it, it did not rust. Or maybe the fumes just got to me. I found that to be real cool so in a couple of weeks I will be doing the same thing, we will see what happens.

onig

Doesn't Evaporust also state to put a thin coat of it on after washing with water if you are not going to primer it right away?

Doesn't Evaporust also state to put a thin coat of it on after washing with water if you are not going to primer it right away?

oh shoot your right, its in the directions after the directions.

lesson, read whole label, not just directions. :thumblef:

-
Back