flex plate alignment?

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
I was reading a how to rebuild small blocks book and the author said that the flex plate should be marked at disassembly and put back on the convertor in the same position. True?
Thanks and God Bless
Bruce

Yes, because the flexplate will line up only one way. Marking the flexplate and the converter makes assembly easier.

Yes, definately do so. Easiest way to do so, is take a spray paint can and shoot one color on one of the four fingers of the flexplate, while its still bolted in the car. (i usually do two colors, one on each end). You'll be pullin your hair out if you dont mark it in some way.

God must have been with me when I installed the motor last fall it lined up and went together on the first try without any markings.
Thanks for the info I will definitely mark it when the 360 is ready to go in, can't wait only about $300 more in parts and it will be going in.
Bruce

Holy crap! I didn't know you were supposed to do that? Is it a problem if you don't mark it? Is there some advice you guys can recomend for me?

It will only line up one way as one of the lugs on the converter is offset so if yours bolted up don't worry about it.

Another hint is on the stock flexplates there is a small (roughly 1/8") hole in the same area as the crank bolts and that hole should be opposite the drain plug on the converter when it is bolted up.

-
Back