flex plate keep's cracking

-

uk-barracuda

Reaction score
i was coming back from a car meet, and flex plate cracked got it home, than bought a 2nd hand 1 that wasnt 100% straight, i didnt notice till i got it home and was fitting it, i fitted it and was driving about in it and it cracked again

my thought is.

when they took the original 273 and put the 318 they must of wrested the flex plate on something and it weakend it. as the previous owner did very few miles and never took it on motorway. and when i put the 2nd flex plate in, it wasnt 100% straight so i must of weakend it when bolting it back up.

there is no vibration on the box what so ever, never slips gears etc.

am i talkin aload of rubbish here, or could this of being why they cracked.

i have bought a new flex plate, so if this cracks again i no there is deffo something wrong with the box.

cheers

What year car are we working on?
Is the transmission original to the car?
What year is the 318?
Does the transmission have the small hub on the convertor and the engine have the large hole in the end of the crankshaft?

Just a thought. How many miles are on the motor? Could the thrust bearing be worn enough to have excessive crankshaft end play causing constant flex causing the cracking?

How are the transmission alignment dowels? I'm thinking maybe that's the issue?

FASTBACK340, can i just say your barracuda looks stunning, very nice car.

the box is a 904, cars is a 67 barracuda, as for the year of the 318 i dont have a clue, the 318 has been rebuilt. and i done 350 mile and the engine seems spot on.

-
Back