FLEXPLATE TO FLYWHEEL CONVERSION

-

brewil

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I saw a post where a trans shop said they sometimes convert flex plates to accept a clutch.
His reasoning was that the flex plate is lighter than a flywheel and can support 500-1000hp on his conversions.

Anyone have any knowledge of this kind of conversion?

Thanks

Uhhhh, no. What surface does the disc operate on? There is no conceivable way to do that. Besides, the flex plate is a flimsy piece.

You can get aluminum flywheels that weigh well under 10 pounds. Why bother with that even if you could?

Edit: How would you attach the pressure plate to the flex plate?

This is exactly what I was thinking. They're meant to bend to accommodate the movement of the torque converter. Guy must be smoking crack!

Thanks!

He is possibly taking about a coupler clutch ?
With the clutch pedal released it is locked with splines,
pedal 1/2 way down is disconnected, all the way to the floor engages a cone clutch to get the car rolling then let out the clutch to lock it solid. short track stock cars use them. Mostly chevy and it bolts to the crank with the flex plate flywheel.

Southwest Speed - Performance Auto Parts

He is possibly taking about a coupler clutch ?
With the clutch pedal released it is locked with splines,
pedal 1/2 way down is disconnected, all the way to the floor engages a cone clutch to get the car rolling then let out the clutch to lock it solid. short track stock cars use them. Mostly chevy and it bolts to the crank with the flex plate flywheel.

Southwest Speed - Performance Auto Parts
Looks like it bolts directly to the crank flange. I think the Chebby guys would sandwich a flexplate in there so they have a ring gear for the starter? Don't know what you'd do for a Mopar. Interesting nonetheless- learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

Looks like it bolts directly to the crank flange. I think the Chebby guys would sandwich a flexplate in there so they have a ring gear for the starter? Don't know what you'd do for a Mopar. Interesting nonetheless- learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

Yep bolts to the crank with the flywheel flexplate between it and the crank. I don't think it would work on the street.

-
Back