Flip Gas Cap Conversion?

-

Ratman1956

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the A-body scene (just sold my 1970 R/T SE Challenger) and was wondering if anybody has tried to put a flip gas cap from an E-body or other Mopar onto an A-body. I think it would look pretty cool!

Thanks for your input,

Alan

Take a look at a 67/68 or 69 Barracuda. They came with them.

I put one on my 78 power wagon,not very hard to do. I was looking at the ones from 67 GTXs and think they might be a little easyer to use on an Abody.

One of the guys on the restoration forum put one on a 70-72 duster. He ended up taking it off because it just really didn't look all that great. There was no negative reflection on his body work - it just didn't look good.
Daryl

I put one on my 65 Dodge Dart GT off of a 68 charger, VERY cool look to any mopar. I don't use mine for fuel. I put a fuel cell in and use the flip cap to hide a second cut off switch

Anyone have any pics of this?

I'm starting to think that I can do this!

Does this help?

If you install one I would suggest using security bolts. I put on mine so no one could just walk up and remove it. There is kit (somewhere I can't remember) that contians the bolts and speical socket. Anyways I used it on mine.

DSC01614.jpg

I seen that kit on eBay, I think it was like $15

Beautiful car, I really like the AAR stripe!

I seen that kit on eBay, I think it was like $15

Beautiful car, I really like the AAR stripe!

Thanks!

I knew I saw that kit somewhere. The cap I have is a N.O.S. and not a reproduction ... I paid a pretty penny for it so I just want to keep it if you know what I mean. :-D

I had ordered a $99.00 (or close to it) reproduction cap and the chrome came off it before I got it out the box. So be careful you don't already have the cap. Click the link below.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=23659

I don't have one yet, but when I decide which one will fit best I will be getting a original piece.

That was the whole purpose of this post, to see which one would work the best. I was really hoping someone had done it to a 67-69 and save me the trouble of trial and error.

I don't have one yet, but when I decide which one will fit best I will be getting a original piece.

That was the whole purpose of this post, to see which one would work the best. I was really hoping someone had done it to a 67-69 and save me the trouble of trial and error.

Your're talking about a 67-69 Dart right??

Correct, I should have been clearer.

My bad. . .

Here is my opinion .... the dart is flat where the gas tank tube is located. I believe (MIGHT) look odd sticking out to far. If you look at my car you will see a recessed area around the gas tube. Now if you found a old 67,68,69 cuda quarter panel you could cut that portion out and have it cut, welded to your car and then paint it. It's a lot of work BUT it would look so professional IMHO.

Heres one on a 66.I bought a phenolic spacer of ebay,some guy in Australia
was making these.Took some time to adapt to make it right but seals up good.

CAP.jpg

CAP 2.jpg

Heres one on a 66.I bought a phenolic spacer of ebay,some guy in Australia
was making these.Took some time to adapt to make it right but seals up good.

Did you have to modify the quarter panel at all?
What year and model gas cap did you use?

Did you have to modify the quarter panel at all?
What year and model gas cap did you use?

No mod to the quarter itself.The spacer required some blocking due to the cap base being uneven and it stuck out too far.I ground the spacer at an
angle to compensate for the cap.The cap is a 67 gtx but i believe there
all the same with the machined finish.Chargers had the same cap but said
"fuel" if you prefer that look.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help and input!
I will keep you all updated as this adventure progresses :toothy10:

go with the shelby style aluminum cap from a viper, cobra and a bunch of other cars. i always toyed with the idea of recessing one of those into the flat top of the quarter of my 69 dart. if you do it, you have to recess it just like the factory did to the barracuda and other cars wi ththe flip top caps or it will look like you just slapped it on there.

Did it on a 66 Dart a few years ago, but that was before anyone had the adapter.. I like the way it looks on my Dart, but i did have to do a little mods for it to fit..

Here is a picture, back in the day. I have one mocked up on a 68 dart that Im working on, not sure i like it just stuck on the side. Its a lot more work to set in the panel.

002.jpg

-
Back