Flip Top Gas Cap Conversion

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So, I purchased the flip top gas cap adapter from this website and I'm a bit confused...

http://fliptopcapadapter.com/faq.html

It says it can utilize either the 3 or 4 bolt whole pattern (I have the 3) but it's just a solid piece of delrin. Am I suppose to drill holes into this to mount the gas top onto the car? So that would be the four bolt holes perfectly aligned to mount it to the car and the three bolt holes to mount it to the adapter?

Any ideas from someone who's done this swap. The only instructions were the picture shown in the link.

Nobody's done this? I know a FABO member manufactures these. I'm just not sure who.

My 3 bolt flip top apparently doesn't mount like the 4 bolt (which may need holes drilled too, I suppose). Here's the picture if you don't open the link.

Attachments

• Adapter_Instructions_800x827.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 816
I have one on my Duster.

You have to drill the holes for the adaptor. Not all the caps are the same, not all the bolt patterns on the cars are the same, and some people have real heartburn over drilling extra holes in their cars.

The holes for the filler neck and the holes for the cap don't necessarily line up in a place where the cap is properly oriented on the car. Which makes sense, because if you need the adaptor you're adding a flip top cap to a car that wasn't intended to have one. You can overcome this by either drilling the extra holes into the car, drilling the extra holes into the cap, or, if you REALLY have an aversion to drilling holes into your car or your cap, you can countersink the pattern for the car into the adaptor, bolt the adaptor to the car, and then drill the holes for the cap into the adaptor and stop short before you drill into the car. But then the delrin is the only thing holding the cap on.

I just used the cap as my pattern, put it where I wanted it on the car, and drilled straight through. No matter what happens, its under the cap.

4mulaSvaliant would be the person to ask, the link above is to the thread where he was selling them. I think he makes a production run when he gets enough orders if he doesn't have any on hand.

Modifying the car is exactly as I described it above. Its as easy as drilling 3 holes, or as hard as drilling up to 7 holes, countersinking and threading. Up to you. They fit pretty well, although if you're a real perfectionist you can trim the adaptor a little so the cap sits a bit more level, the filler neck area on a Duster is slightly angled, so the cap will be too unless you shave the adaptor down a smidge.

And yes, I used machine screws on purpose. That way there's a nut on the back, and you need to open the trunk to remove the cap and adaptor. So if someone wants to steal them, they have to work a little harder.

IMG_5307_zps52234569.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1796.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 536
Looks pretty good. Did you shave yours?

No. I keep meaning to pull it off the car and take it to a belt sander. But as you can see in the picture, it really doesn't sit at that much of an angle. You'd really only need to take an 1/8" off of it to make it perfect. Also, the one on my Duster is an older one, I think he may have changed them slightly and made the adaptor just a bit thinner.

I believe the top and bottom holes on the left side of the cap match up with the car. So, I was just thinking about drilling the top and bottom holes on the right side into the cap to match the quarter panel.

I believe the top and bottom holes on the left side of the cap match up with the car. So, I was just thinking about drilling the top and bottom holes on the right side into the cap to match the quarter panel.

Maybe on your '68. As you can see, on my '74 (3 bolt) the holes on the car are almost 90º from the cap. The two extra holes in the cap are even further away from the stock holes. There's no overlap that puts the cap at anything close to level with the car. Plus, if you mount the cap into the delrin you can remove the flip top cap from the outside.

Maybe I took the easy way out, but the way I see it all of the holes are covered by the cap regardless. The only way to see the extra holes is from inside the trunk. And even if I took the flip top off later, the extra holes are still covered by the regular cap, and I could always just put a couple extra screw in to plug them.

We'll see, I think I'm going to put this on the back burner for now as I'd like to focus on the suspension soon.

Just put my cap on yesterday. I thought it would be harder then it was. Other then having someone hold the adapter for you , its pretty straight forward and only took about 30 minutes. This is on a 68 Dart. I found out that after you mark and drill the holes in the adapter that if you put the adapter and cap base together as per instructions . That two holes on the cap base and adapter will line up ( in my application anyway . Cap bought from Rock auto , your base may be different. )anyway lining up the two holes I used small bolts to hold the two pieces together, then drilled through the adapter holes into the cap base. Holes will line up exactly where factory holes in filler tube are. I did pre set everything before drilling to make sure.
IMG_20161231_173806627.jpg
IMG_20161231_173819827.jpg

-
Back