Flip Top Gas Cap Help?????

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
Does anyone have a tool/tip to replace the security screws on the flip top gas cap. I looked at one of those security bit sets yesterday and had no luck. Any help greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have a tool/tip to replace the security screws on the flip top gas cap. I looked at one of those security bit sets yesterday and had no luck. Any help greatly appreciated.

Pop the trunk... with a pair of vice grips back the screws out... once you have them out far enough you can grab them from outside the car. That's the way I had to do mine to remove the flip cap.

mullinax95, Thanks but I kind of wanted to reuse them for factory look. Someone has to have some idea to remove and reinstall.

mullinax95, Thanks but I kind of wanted to reuse them for factory look. Someone has to have some idea to remove and reinstall.

I did re use them... you don't have to smash the crap out of them with the vice grips. I re installed the same screws the same way... I don't have the tip your looking for either.... never have. See that's why they call them security screws you can't remove them without the special tip... lol

If someone does have a better idea of removing them and reinstalling them I would love to hear it.

I have seen those exact type security screws on ebay but that's been awhile back. If you find the special tip you more than likely have to buy the screws with it.

I didnt think about reusing them after the vice grips. I will wait to see if someone else replys if not i'll use the vicegrips.

Thats how I did it on my 67 sat....works like a charm and you can really get them tight without scarring the heads like the man said.....

I think year one sells the $$$$$$tool.

I bet you already have a pair of vice grips.=P~

-
Back