Flip top gas cap

-

B'cuda

Reaction score
I picked up a swap meet flip top lid with better chrome than mine, but the gasket on the back side is cracked and mine is perfect. Is there any way to remove / swap the gasket and spring? Thanks for any help!

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

i could imagine that is popped in the same way a 710 cap is
have you tried pushing down on it, twisting it and seeing if it popped out ?

i could imagine that is popped in the same way a 710 cap is
have you tried pushing down on it, twisting it and seeing if it popped out ?
I tried for a few minutes, I thought it may have a key way that would line up and release. I'll check that again tomorrow. Thanks

i think this was mentioned in regards to the same cap, its an old thread, so who knows (pics dont show, and @Rainy Day Auto never posted the other pics anyway)

I have made a few new gaskets from Viton rubber I can get. You should be able to kind of slip out the old gasket lay it on top of the new Viton, trace and cut. It has worked for me on an oil cap and P/S cap or two.. If you decide to try it PM me. Mike

(and the context to that quote)

fixin gas caps

The gasket comes right out, easy to get some rubber sheet and cut a new one. The spring, I'm not so sure about.

I had the same problem, also i didn't like having my cap open to the public, (My buddys dad always tells the story of how rival car club blew up his impala in the 80s sticking a rag in the filler neck lol)

i just cut off the cap piece with the old rubber and used a new stant gas cap with locking key but i had to take of the thin chrome piece ,and it fit right in so i have a locking cap inside the original flip cap.

-
Back