flooded carb, not what?

-

killnine

Reaction score
So when I picked up my 440 duster to tow it home, it would start, but didn't sound healthy, and soon after I realized the carb was just flooding everywhere. I had it running a couple times but only for a few seconds each time, before I realized it. I got it onto the trailer with tow straps, and now it's at home. I have a rebuild kit, as I think it's the orings on the needle and seat allowing the secondary to flood. How would you ensure that the fuel that washed the whole thing out when it flooded is flushed out? Just remove the plugs and turn it over a few times? Is that enough?

If you think it had that much fuel in it change the oil and filter along with a shot or two of oil in each cylinder and turn it over slowly by hand with the plugs still out.
Using the starter may just make things worse by turing to fast to let the oil get on the cylinder walls real soon.

When I do something like that I like to shoot some compressed air in the cylinder through a small tube inserted through the plug hole to help blow the oil all around in there so it doesn't just sit in the low spot.

Maybe to anal, but hey. :D

Replace both needle and seats to be safe, you don't want to mess around with a fuel leak that could lead to a fire...

Follow trailbeast's advice on changing the oil and put a couple of squirts in each cylinder...

The compressed air thing is optional - he's anal... :poke:

Is there a such thing is alcohol/methanol friendly needle and seat O-rings?
If so wouldn't these withstand ethanol gas better?

Heck I bought non-ethanol gas.... added fuel Stabil fuel stabilizer and it still ate the O-rings up. I'm thinking some gas stations say that they have non ethanol but they really don't have a drop in the pumps. It's been awhile back but went to start the car and the carb just absolutely flooded the engine. Took the carb apart and O-rings pieces was holding the needle off the seat!!!!

It was the o-rings. It would certainly be nice to not have to replace these every time it sits. Or if anyone knows where to score the o-rings?

-
Back