Flooding Edelbrock

-

DUSTERDOWNS

Reaction score
I have a 1406 Edelbrock on my 340. At times when idleing it just pours gas into the front throats. After that I am staring a flooded motor. I am using a Holley electric pump and regulator, I am running 4 to 5 lbs.of psi. This problem doesn't happen all the time mostly when i start it after it has set in the garage for a couple of weeks and I start it and just let it set and run after it warms up I find this happening. I have changed carbs due to this happening before with another 1406 and I took it back and got another one now I have the same thing again. There is no return line on the car. Please if you don't have a answer don't comment. I don't need a he said she said thread started just some good solid answers.

Have you checked the float levels ?
Edes have been known to have float levels off right out of the box.

2 carbs doing the same thing would leave me to believe the problem is with the fuel pressure.
I would give them a call,tell them your setup,and see what they have to say.

needle and seat or float sticking open inside of carb,
if you gently tap the float bowl on the carb with something like the handle of a screw driver does it stop?
or your fuel pressure is to high and is over coming the needle seat and float

Tapping on it does no good. If i lower the psi won't it hurt me when i need more power? How low can i drop the psi?

try an off road needle and seat , they are spring loaded to force they shut when the bowl is full . works pretty good on a 4wd getting bounced all over the place .
of course verify fuel pressure first .

I know this is old but, (high jacked) edelbrock 1411 four barrel

Looking down at the carb. While at idle it dribbles fuel from the fuel needles is this a sign of flooding or is this normal? Just curious .....

Problem = low idle sputter...

Timing is good.
No air leak.

My novice opinion is dirt in the needle and seat. Pull the top off and blow it /clean it out. Easy to do without carb removal, instructions online. Takes about 30min including checking float levels. Just remember 1/4" to the GASKET when checking floats. Had to do this two weeks ago and it was super simple. Only takes a few particles to cause an issue.
BTW. .The bolts on top are Torx.

Just to verify... You do have a filter between the pump and the carb yes?

My novice opinion is dirt in the needle and seat. Pull the top off and blow it /clean it out. Easy to do without carb removal, instructions online. Takes about 30min including checking float levels. Just remember 1/4" to the GASKET when checking floats. Had to do this two weeks ago and it was super simple. Only takes a few particles to cause an issue.
BTW. .The bolts on top are Torx.

i will try this, i took it apart last night and cleaned everything but the needle and seat :( [fail]

Just to verify... You do have a filter between the pump and the carb yes?

yes i do have a filter. fairly new i replaced it a few months ago.

so it should not be dibbling gasoline while at idle?

Absolutely not

Too much pressure / Creeping pressure

Heat / boil / vapor lock issues

Dirt / etc in needle / seat

DAMAGED needle / seat

DEFECTIVE (manufacture) needle / seat

Binding float / pivot / bent/ dragging

"Heavy" float AKA someone tried to repair with solder, added too much weight

so it should not be dibbling gasoline while at idle?

No there should be no visible fuel dripping in the carb throats at idle, the fuel for idling is supposed to come just from the idle slots under the throttle plates.

Sounds like your floats are set too high, these types of carbs are very sensitive to float height. Too high and it will dribble gas like yours, too low and the boosters won't be able to pull fuel when you open the throttle.

thanks guys.
So now at least we have identified the issue here.
i just downloaded the edelbrock owners manual and will be getting a rebuilt kit and re doing the floats.

thanks.

once i do that i will keep you guys posted and hope its resolved.

My first trip out with my 800 the fuel percolated and it flooded bad,probanly dislodged crud that fouled the needle and seat. I added a 1" phenolic wood spacer from Edelbrock. No problems so far.

-
Back