Floor Carpet How To Install?

-

Pompis

Reaction score
Hello I have ordered floor carpet to my Dart Swinger 73 and I wonder how to install them. Do i need to put some sound dampening material between the carpet and the floor? Some tips and tricks would be very helpful. Thanks for your help.

It sounds like you are at the same point I am in your build. I just installed the sound dampening material and I am hoping it helps quiet the ride a bit. Very simple to install, but yet it's not cheap.

Remove door sills, and kick panels. Clean and paint floor as needed.

Relax carpet by placing it in sun light to lessen wrinkles, and allow it to lie into floor contours.
Have a utility knife with several new replacement blades available. Don’t use dull blades change as needed.
Work from center lines marked on carpet and floor. If two section carpet, install rear section first.

Once carpet is centered and any shifter cut-outs made, flop one side of carpet over along center line apply spray contact cement on half of transmission hump, slanting floor of foot well at fire wall and back of carpet, and flop back into position. You will have to work it a little bit to work out most of the wrinkles, and get it centered. Repeat process on other side of car. Spray contact cement will allow easy readjustment of carpet if needed, so take your time and mind your centerline marks, and keep carpet snug to hump, and fire wall.

Fit carpet to door openings, allow it to ride up over door sill enough to be held in place by sill moldings. You may need to spray some contact cement to slanted portion of floor along door openings to get carpet to lay in. Do not use glue on flat sections of floor so any wrinkles can relax out over time in the area.

Seat bolt holes can be located by inserting an awl or ice pick up from under floor through carpet. Cut a small “X” about ½ inch over bolt hole with a utility knife sporting a new sharp blade, and mark each seat hole with chalk to make installing seats easer.

Use awl to locate existing screw holes along door sills, and kick panels to make life easier…

Work slowly, mark all cuts first, cut less then make a trial fit, cut some more if needed.

I have put many in and have never had to use spray glue on molded carpet. The only thing I have to add is, once in place heat a rod, I use an old large phillips screwdriver and locate holes for seats and burn through from underneath. Nice clean hole that won't unravel. Also do the same for the seat belt locations..

-
Back