floor coatings....

-

nasty69

Reaction score
any of you guys had any experience with floor coatings..?? gota 2 car garage in my new house and need some info..Ucoat it anygood ?? wats some good stuff?

I have coated numerous floors professionally, and i have never used u coat and have not researched it. I can tell you, if the floor has been sealed, which almost all concrete is unless specifically asked not too, the sealer must be removed. This can only be done with a industrial floor blasting system typically known as shot blasting. This machine will abrade the surface with small steel shot, and is reclaimed with any debris back in the machine. This will leave a profile similar to 60/80 grit sand paper for the coating to adhere to.
If your floor has no sealer a simple acid etch will work, followed by a neutralizing rinse of vinegar and water. This should still give the floor a sand paper like feel. Also the acid is toxic so be careful and use respirators.
With any floor coating it should be 100% solids. I use products from Sherwin Williams, it is called General Polymers. If you need anything more feel free to pm and I will assist in any way I can. Ed

Ucoat any good? In my opinion, not that great and over priced. I coated my garage floor about 4 years ago with UCoat. The product is OK at best. You're better off locating an industrial coatings company in your area and buying a product from them. Probably cost less also. As Boxer metioned, try Sherwin Williams.

I have coated numerous floors professionally, and i have never used u coat and have not researched it. I can tell you, if the floor has been sealed, which almost all concrete is unless specifically asked not too, the sealer must be removed. This can only be done with a industrial floor blasting system typically known as shot blasting. This machine will abrade the surface with small steel shot, and is reclaimed with any debris back in the machine. This will leave a profile similar to 60/80 grit sand paper for the coating to adhere to.
If your floor has no sealer a simple acid etch will work, followed by a neutralizing rinse of vinegar and water. This should still give the floor a sand paper like feel. Also the acid is toxic so be careful and use respirators.
With any floor coating it should be 100% solids. I use products from Sherwin Williams, it is called General Polymers. If you need anything more feel free to pm and I will assist in any way I can. Ed
thanks alot about all the info ed, u apparently to know your stuff. now this shot blasting machine you speak of..how would i get ahold of one. i obvisously don't need to buy one. where could i rent one .. or any other options without draining the banks

nasty, this is available at larger rental companies. However, they are difficult to use for first time users. You can really ball up the floor if you are not careful. If it were me, there has to be companies locally that preform this service. Her for large jobs the going rate is @$.30/sq. ft.. For smaller jobs I would think you should be able to get it done for around $250. Like Demon416 said, most coating available to the general public are more geared for "residential use". The coatings I use from Sherwin are General 3405 primer binder, and top coat with 3744. Typically we do alot of non skid flooring. This will cost more, because of extra coats. First we use 3405 primer binder, then use an intermediate coat of 3869, which we broad cast silica sand to excess. Let dry over night, vacuum off any loose sand. Use a floor polisher with a sanding head on it to knock down the profile slightly, vac again. Then apply top coat of 3744, followed by a light coat of clear urethane. This will give you a bullet proof floor. Not sure if anyone can purchase this product through Sherwin, let me know, I could arrange it on our account if necessary. Ed

U coat, is that the mail order stuff out of NJ? If it is - stay away, far away...
C

I bought a gallon of U-Coat. Floor looked great at first but when I started dragging stuff across it started peeling up.
Anyhow, about 6-8 months after I bought it I get a call one morning about 7:00 and the guy says they are ready to ship the other so many gallons. When I said there must have been a mistake because I only had a 2 car garage and no way would I have ordered more than the one gallon. The guy got really pissy and threatened legal action. I told him to have his lawyer call me and I would give him the # for my lawyer. I never heard from them again.
C

Boxer has the correct info...listen to him

I had a pro do mine.......I would never try that myself after
watching him.

Here's my result:

new305_Small_.jpg

new314_Medium_.jpg

I used to decorative concrete work for a living. Stamping, acid staining, topcoating, etc. After reading Boxer's advice above, there is nothing I can say other than he knows what he's saying, listen to him. I have no experience with U-coat personally, but have heard from others that is good for a residential carport application, but not much more than that. The topcoat I used to use when I was doing that for a living was a 80% solid acrylic manufactured by Specialty Concrete Products in Columbia, SC. A little expensive, but great stuff.

-
Back