Floor pan rust!

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I was just curious and stripped away some of the carpet on my dart, and what I was kinda expecting to find some rust because my car is unrestored. But my main question is how do you know when the entire floor pan has to be replaced? Because there are no holes in the floor that I could see, but it was kinda flakey in some spots, was still fairly solid though. I know replacing a floor pan isn't too bad, and if I have to replace the whole thing can I just strip the interior out, cut it out, replace it and weld and seal it and be done? Or do I have to brace the car since it's a unibody? I hate rust! It kinda made me sad to see it since the rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

Another thing to do is to see if a screwdriver will go through the floor where the rust is. If it won't it is just surface rust which can be removed and the floor repainted.

Yea I don't have anywhere to work on it yet, I'm moving in a month or two then I'll have a nice garage to work in.

That's the driver side, I didn't look at the passenger but I'm just gunna assume it's similar, there aren't any holes, but I think it would need to be replaced, how hard of a job is it to replace it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 240
I just finished prepping/painting mine. I agree with the screwdriver test. If you can't poke holes, just prep it, rustproof and paint.

it looks ok.

brobably just clean and paint.

Only spot were metal could be kind of thin is darker areas.
i had one in trunk, when i cleaned it, i discovered small hole, smaller tham my pinky :)

if you start restoring your car, do door test to see if frame is still stiff, jack up one corner and see if doors still open easily.

BTW these things are way better than wirewheel.

Attachments

• 19-333_l.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 186
I suppose it depends on how long you want it to last. I would get a good assessment of the condition of the whole floor board b4 i made any decisions. My floor looked solid till i took a sand blaster to it and then it was full of pin holes.

-
Back