flowmaster 40 series tone change

-

SirDan

Reaction score
i know its not a mopar but my father had flowmaster 40 series on his 327 1986 chevy truck. it was a dual exhaust system with headers and no cats. they sounded like ***. he just put an x pipe on today and got different mufflers. he decided once he was done with the x pipe he would slip the flowmasters on just to see if they sounded any better you know just for ***** n giggles and with the x pipe they sounded like completely different mufflers!!! they actualy sounded good! i cant even belive what a difference the x pipe made with those mufflers!! so basicaly the moral of the story is get a x pipe if youve got 40 series :toothy7: also has anyone tried them with a H pipe?

since my darts exhaust is hanging there with no mufflers i threw the two flowmasters on it. it has an H pipe. sounds decent but honestly i like the glasspacks i got for $7.50 each better.

The X will knock a lot of the annoying drone out of those mufflers' sound/tone. Not all but a lot. It makes them almost tolerable for a few minutes depending upon engine and the car/truck it is in.

i had 40's with an H pipe on a bone stock 318 duster(2 1/4" pipe) that sounded great. yesteday i just ordered some jones full boar mufflers( exact fm40 copies for $40 a piece) that i will be putting on my truck with a bone stock 318/ no H pipe(2" pipe). well see how that works out till i add a H pipe.

IME an X/H pipe on any exhaust will even out the tone to a degree, esp. FM's as their not the greatest flowing mufflers.

I have Flowmaster 40s on my 383 Dart.

They sounded good to me before, then I cut in a "H" crossover. They still sound great and if anything, my Butt Dyno tells me that it's a bit quicker..also the drone at about 2000 RPM is gone.

Butt Dyno

buttdyno.jpg

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=41

-
Back