Flowmaster 50series question

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
When I bought my 64 A100 (273) it has 2.5" pipes and flowmaster 50 series muffler and turndowns in front of the axle.
It is louder that what I would like (inside and out) . If I add tail pipes all the way to the back ,will that quiet things down much? or should I get a pair of turbo mufflers and tail pipes. I don't want an exhaust system that is unbearable to drive for several hours at a time. I guess I'm getting old. Loud is not as much fun ,as when I was younger and dumber.

Running the tail pipes to the bumper will make a noticeable difference. My wife even enjoys riding in the car with the 50 series mufflers.

Running the tail pipes to the bumper will make a noticeable difference. My wife even enjoys riding in the car with the 50 series mufflers.

Do you get much drone at cruising speed 2000 or so RPM. Able to talk to people with out yelling?

I had tails adn it was too loud inside with the flowmasters. Drone type of loud.

You will be happy adding the tail pipes. While it will really not be any quieter, putting the tail pipes on it will move the sound to the back where it's supposed to be, which will have the same effect.

If you want to get rid of the droning/blat sound you need to put a balance tube between the pipes before the mufflers...I have the Flowmaster Delta 44s on my car and it is loud even all the way to the back.. When I read up on the issue it was highly recommended to install the balance tube or X pipe to equalize the exhaust pressures... I still have not done it but I can live with the sound for now... It is out back so it's not as bad....Bill

You will be happy adding the tail pipes. While it will really not be any quieter, putting the tail pipes on it will move the sound to the back where it's supposed to be, which will have the same effect.

I've only driven short distances (few miles) so I have not got a good idea of what I'm up against yet. But I'm learning to like quieter cars....I really am getting old.

I had the flowmaster one chamber mufflers on my 65 Valiant. it had tailpipes to the rear and I liked it. It was LOUD but only from behind.

i got 40 series flows dumping in front of the rear diff and if you put your lady in the back seat while driving you can forget the drone and worry about cleaning the seats.

i got 40 series flows dumping in front of the rear diff and if you put your lady in the back seat while driving you can forget the drone and worry about cleaning the seats.

HAHAHA...wait I've got an A100 pickup..she would be in the bed section:blob:. even better.:cheers: and I could hose out the bed :pottytra:

-
Back