Fluid from speedo cable?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I noticed a few drips of trans fluid hanging off the speedometer cable for my 904. Is this a common place for fluid to leak? Beneath the cable on the floor was a small spot of fluid from sitting and I assume dripping every so often after a drive. The cable is wet around the area where it goes into the transmission but the rest is dry. Does this mean I need a new cable? Or does it need to be tighten where it enters the trans?

Thanks for any info.

Yeah, that`s fairly common. There`s two seals at the speedometer housing that can cause a leak, one is a large o-ring that goes around the housing and another small seal that surrounds the speedometer gear shaft.

Yeah, that`s fairly common. There`s two seals at the speedometer housing that can cause a leak, one is a large o-ring that goes around the housing and another small seal that surrounds the speedometer gear shaft.

Is this an easy fix? How much fluid will come out if the cable is removed? I guess that if I jacked the left side of the car very little would come out. Can the seal/o-ring be found at local auto parts stores or are they a special order piece?

Thanks

Yup, easy fix 20-30 minutes. Go to any reputable transmission shop and they should have the seals. Be sure to take note of the speedometer gear housing before you remove it. It`s capable of going in in one of 4 different directions and must be clocked correctly. If it`s not your speedometer may not work. You`ll see a range of numbers on the housing that`ll correspond to your speedometer gear tooth count. HTH

-
Back