Flushing a Slant 6

-

Vali68

Reaction score
So this weekend, my neighbor and me lowered the slant 6 I am reworking on the engine stand so it is not so top heavy.

Then we rotated the motor so i can get a peek at the crankshaft and the crank bearings and have a look at the cylinder walls. All check out looking in good shape. The oil pan was dented pretty bad and my concern was that the oil pickup was going to be in need of replacement due to being bent. It wasn't effected at all.
My question to anyone out there is this: How do you flush a motor now that i have it on a stand so I can get rid of all that grimey old oil? The oil that came out of the motor doesn't look like it had a lot of water or sediment in it. But I know a good flushing can't do harm to it.

JMO, I would put the engine back in and and add new fluids and filter and fire it back up, drive it and change the oil and filter after ... ah.. 4 hours of driving.
Cost would be about $15.00 and you will be assured that the cam and crank bearings did not have to wait for oil because you flushed the engine with something .. Just me, and I am in no way a good tech here, just worried about a dry start or putting anything in the engine that does not belong I guess.

Take the pan and valve cover off, roll it to the edge of the shop door, flip it upside down. get some Gunk engine cleaner and soak the inside of the engine from the valve cover area to the crankcase. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then rinse it out with a high pressure garden hose. Let it drip dry then blow it out with air. Spray the inside down with WD40 or some other penetrant. Put the pan and valve cover back on.

Now when you get ready to start it, you will want to disable the ignition and spin the engine over until the oil light goes out so you will reprime the engine. You will have washed a lot of the oil out and that will assure it does not fire up dry.

Take the pan and valve cover off, roll it to the edge of the shop door, flip it upside down. get some Gunk engine cleaner and soak the inside of the engine from the valve cover area to the crankcase. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then rinse it out with a high pressure garden hose. Let it drip dry then blow it out with air. Spray the inside down with WD40 or some other penetrant. Put the pan and valve cover back on.

Now when you get ready to start it, you will want to disable the ignition and spin the engine over until the oil light goes out so you will reprime the engine. You will have washed a lot of the oil out and that will assure it does not fire up dry.

There we go, Thank you Rusty :thumbrig:, this would clean out any build up.
But I would recommend an early oil change after just in case something got loose and decided to wait till it came up to temperature , do you agree ?

And since you have the pan off, I would unscrew the pickup tube and back flush it with a good solvent, or gasoline, either cost just as much anymore. Lot's of junk can build up on that screen! Oh, and pay attention to your location of the screen i.e TAKE A PICTURE of it before you take it off!

-
Back