Flywheel for 408

-

canadian duster

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm getting myself confused on the right flywheel for my build. Its a 408 la build internal balance. Been trying to find the right flywheel as the costs to get these things to canada is quite large and i dont want to do it twice. Its for a a833 tranny 1971 bell and tranny.

Any part numbers would be great.

Thanks

You need a 130 tooth internally balanced (not 360 or late 340) flywheel (for 10 1/2 or 10.9" clutch) as used on early 340s and all 318s. What most people dont know is that this part number flywheel was used on many 318 trucks and early V6 Dakotas through the mid to late 80s. When I put an 833 behind my internally balanced 408 I bought one from a Dakota. It had the same PN cast into the forward side of it as the early 340 flywheels.

You can buy them on rockauto for a 318 truck very economically.

Last edited:
Hi folks. I'm getting myself confused on the right flywheel for my build. Its a 408 la build internal balance. Been trying to find the right flywheel as the costs to get these things to canada is quite large and i dont want to do it twice. Its for a a833 tranny 1971 bell and tranny.

Any part numbers would be great.

Thanks[/QUOTE

I have a RAM-1503 on my 408 (1974). 130 tooth. 10.5" McLeod clutch. These from Summit. Flywheel is billet. My tranny is Tremec though not 833.

Don't mean to but in on post but I am interested in building a stroker motor for my 1969 Dart. I have 1969 340 so it sounds like this flywheel will work is that correct? I would also like to know what is the best year of 360 la block for a donor ?

Depends on how the machine shop balances your rotating assembly. If they internally balance it, and your flywheel is for an internally balanced 69 340 then yes, it will work.

I built my 408 from an early 70s block. However, if I were to do it again I would start with a roller cam 5.9 block (not sure when they were introduced) to take advantage of the many benefits of the roller cam. This will be cheaper than putting a roller cam in an older block..... ask me how I know, LOL.

Last edited:
-
Back