Flywheel officianados help please

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
I've got a brain teaser for all you flywheel experts, and hope you can help solve it for me.

I picked up this flywheel which was used behind a 360 MARINE motor. It's a regular internal balance flywheel casting no. 2264598 which, as you can see, has had a large hole drilled right through it.

Now I know that the factory method of balancing a 360 flywheel is to drill 3 large semi-holes at precise locations towards the outer part of the wheel so as to remove the 19 or so ounces required.

But Im wondering whether this could be an alternative way to balance a flywheel for a 360 (ie. drilling a large hole right through closer to centre as opposed to 3 smaller holes further out)? Has anyone seen this before? It stands to reason that the flywheel must have been used behind an externally balanced 360 - if it was used with an internal balance motor it would not have been in balance with this large hole.

Is there anyway I can tell for sure whether this flywheel will work behind my 360, short of installing it and running the car? For example, is there some formula I can apply to the size of the hole, its location, and the weight of metal that has been removed, to ascertain whether drilling it this way has the same balancing effect as a factory spec balance job.

Any hints, suggestions etc.greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I counted the teeth and it has 160! I'm not so troubled by that though, as I can always replace the ring gear with a correct 130 tooth piece.

CIMG1669.JPG

That won't work in a car with a clutch. That hole would be murder on the disc.

It's likely from a direct drive, inboard/outboard set up. Probably had a coupler attached at the flywheel bolts and a u joint straight off of that.

Yes it's probably balanced correctly for an externally balanced 360.

That won't work in a car with a clutch. That hole would be murder on the disc.

It's likely from a direct drive, inboard/outboard set up. Probably had a coupler attached at the flywheel bolts and a u joint straight off of that.

Yes it's probably balanced correctly for an externally balanced 360.

What you say here makes perfect sense, thanks! Looks like I'll just buy a new MP flywheel and be done with it.

-
Back