FMJ spindles > POLL

FMJ spindles on A-body

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Hay yall, we're all Mopar brethren here. Lets have this discussion civilly, ok? Obviously, some people think the FMJ spindles are not a good idea and that's cool. Whatever works for you.

We are way off the original question which only has 2 answers !

Yes I have them on my A-body and have no problem
-OR-
I have them on my A-body and have had big problems

we are way off the original question which only has 2 answers !

Yes i have them on my a-body and have no problem
-or-
i have them on my a-body and have had big problems

right!

Makes no difference?

The article clearly shows that the FMJ spindles are perfectly safe, and possibly have BETTER geometry than the original spindles did. Especially for cars that use larger, more modern tires and tread compounds.

Then you should have no problem getting a certified engineer to sign off on it!

Suspension design and geometry is always a trade off. In the case of the FMJ spindles, you trade a ridiculously slight increase in toe change for a more significant increase in negative camber gain. Simply put, thats a good trade. If you don't understand that, then you simply don't understand how suspension works.

I do understand. And again: if that is the case, you should have no problem getting a certified engineer to sign off on it!

The factory designed the suspension on these cars for use with rock hard, rail skinny, bias ply tires. It set the alignment specifications for those tires. It sized the torsion bars for those tires and their incredible lack of traction. It based its brakes on those tires' lack of traction. So the only question is, do you run bias ply tires?

If the answer is NO, and you still use the factory geometry, then you have in fact significantly altered the handling characteristics of your car beyond the factory specifications.

I don't own an A-body...on my friend's FD, it will run stock-sized (185/75R14, I think) tires and may have come stock with radials by 1976. (Some cars did as early as 1973.)

I don't own an A-body

This is why you should be ignored about the subject!

In the face of pertinent testing data that is contrary to the insinuation, yes it's an insinuation, take your ball and go home. :)

Have FMJ's on many A bodies, no issues.

For the record: IF we're going to squabble over non factory mods on an A body; then it should be 'illegal' to install a 1967 up dual chamber drum brake master cylinder onto a 1966 down model with the same size drums...........

Another modification could be 3 point seatbelts since the B pillars on 1973 down post cars may not be strong enough to support them in a severe crash.

Note I'm being a tad sarcastic here since both the dual pot MC and 3 point belts will some some more protection IMHO than a Dart/Valiant not fitted with those items. :)

For the record: IF we're going to squabble over non factory mods on an A body; then it should be 'illegal' to install a 1967 up dual chamber drum brake master cylinder onto a 1966 down model with the same size drums...........

Factory-engineered part and application, not a problem. (In fact, wasn't a 1967 A-body a carryover year aside from that?)

Another modification could be 3 point seatbelts since the B pillars on 1973 down post cars may not be strong enough to support them in a severe crash.

A-bodies came with 3-point belts (as did other cars back to at least 1971)--and bad installation endangers only the car's occupants, unlike suspension or brakes.

-
Back