Fng

-

C130 Chief

Mechanical Genius
Reaction score
Greetings,
While I have been a Mopar fan for life, I have been without a running a-body since before the internet was invented (well, almost). That has all changed... My current project is a 1965 Dart GT that has been in the family since 72. I am planning a mild repower and enhancement aimed mostly at a comfortable, good looking driver. Basically I want an upgrade to the factory Formula S package, as I really liked those cars. Here's the plan so far...

Engine: 318 .030 over, zero deck w/ KB167 pistons; 302 heads w1.88/1.60 valves mildly ported, mid 9s compression; Comp XE268 cam (or Hughes HEH 1928 ); Carter 9636 AFB on a small port single plane intake (painted red to look sorta stock); factory early A exhaust manifolds and a 3" single exhaust. Dressed with the correct wrinkle valve covers and crome air cleaner from a HP 273.

Trans: HD rebuilt 904 w/ 145K converter and TF2 shift kit. Imperial services cable linkage adaptor.

Rear end: 8 3/4 SG w/ 3.23 gears.

Suspension & Brakes: BBP manual disk conversion from 75 Swinger; poly graphite bushings, .89 T-bars, 6-leaf HD rear springs, KYB shocks, sway bars front (and rear if needed); 20:1 manual steering; 205/60-15s on cop car rims w/ correct 1965 dog dishes.

Body & Interior: Gold poly with pearl white interior as original. Gotta find a way to add a stereo without cutting door panels.

Well thats it so far. The idea is to keep it looking like a stock resto to the untrained eye, but have a bit more "spunk" and drivability in modern traffic. I plan to use this car for extended highway trips mostly, although an occaisional blast down the strip will not be out of the question. It needs to be a reliable package that wont hurt itself as I have teenagers who will be driving it.

Anybody see any glaring errors or omissions in my plans (dont even start about hte 318 vs 360 thing, I have a J-head 360/727 sitting on the garage floor). Questions, comments, suggestions? Parts donations?

I will be moving to the Twin Cities this spring and would like to hook up with mopar nuts in that area.

Nate

Welcome aboard and happy Turkey day !

Sounds like you off to a good start. 2 things jump out at me though. First is the cam choice. Bolth are good cams but the 268XE is about 1 step larger then the Hughes cam. I would look at the XE262 instead. The second thing is the single plane intake. Although I understand your reason for wanting to run it I would go with a good dual plane instead. You'll need the low end with the small stroke 318 and the 3.23s. :thumrigh:

Welcome to the board and Happy Turkey Day. I agree with Adam on the cam and intake choices, but everything else seems like a well thought out combo. Now, about that 360/727 you have sitting on the garage floor. :) :poke:
I have the identical car in a 66 model with Valiant Signet trim (Canadian model). I ran a 318/904 in it for about 10 years and was quite pleased with the overall package. About 15 years ago I installed a warmed over 360/727, and the difference is quite unbelievable - WOW!! When I complete the current body/paint upgrade, the 360 is going back in with the original 904 and TF-2 kit, since I think there's too much residual power loss to justify keeping the 727 in such a lightweight street machine. Good luck and have fun with your car. :)

-
Back