Food Recipes, Smoking, etc...

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Someone posted this forum: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ today (I cannot remember who you are but THANK YOU!!!!), does anyone have any other good websites like that? If so please post it up.

If you feel up to it, post a recipe, smoking techinque, etc... here to share. The more the better! I know this is a car forum but cars/trucks don't get worked on without food (fuel, see what I did there) in your stomach. Thanks in advance guys :cheers:

Your welcome.....

A member on the smoking forums site.....ton of good stuff....

https://sites.google.com/site/sqwibcooks/home

Another members blog....

http://oldfatguy.ca/

hope both of the links work.....

As I find stuff I will add them here....

Just made some Atomic Buffalo Turds....halfed jalapeno peppers, removed veins/seeds. Lightly browned some Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. Mixed the JD with block style cream cheese. Topped with a quarter slice of bacon. Into a 225* smoker, pulled right around the 95 minute mark.....out of this world.

Thanks Inkjunkie! That Atomic Buffalo sounds really good.

If you havery a way to cold smoke you absolutely need to smoke butter. And some of your favorite cheese.

Cold smoked cheese, interesting.

This can only be done in a smoker witht the capability of making "cold" smoke. Not your basic Big Chief smoker. I can still visualize the scene about 25 years ago, my buddy picked up a Big Cheif smoker and decided to try it out. He opted for smoked cheddar cheese, as it was a favorite snack of his.

Well, a couple hours later, Randy was out on the back patio, scraping the melted cheese up off the bottom of the smoker, and eating the partially blackened ooz! He wasn't about to let it go to waste!

This can only be done in a smoker witht the capability of making "cold" smoke. Not your basic Big Chief smoker. I can still visualize the scene about 25 years ago, my buddy picked up a Big Cheif smoker and decided to try it out. He opted for smoked cheddar cheese, as it was a favorite snack of his.

Well, a couple hours later, Randy was out on the back patio, scraping the melted cheese up off the bottom of the smoker, and eating the partially blackened ooz! He wasn't about to let it go to waste!

I know a trick that worked for me. You need to have a big chief and the box it came in. You lay some thin metal rods across the top of the smoker with the rack out, then drop the rack onto the supports, this gets the heat alot further away from the soft stuff. Then you drop the box over the rack. A little iffy, but it works in a pinch.

Have a mailbox hooked to our Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker, feeds the smoke from a smoke generator thru a dryer tube. Works like a champ.

I have 14 pounds of pork belly in a brine as I type this. Will be getting cold smoked the middle of the month. Will be starting the curing process on a piece of pork butt to make buckboard bacon. And if that ain't enough I picked up a 14 pound pork belly yesterday.

Put a 9 pound pork butt in at 11 last night, sure does look purdy.

Bbq brethren forum. I started with a UDS ( ugly drum smoker) and graduated to a big green egg. I still use and love the drum for pork butts. I do one for pulled pork sammies and do a second butt that after pulling, I put in small portions and freeze. Then I can pull a package out and add it to some beans for lunch, make a sandwich for work etc.

Check this out. My wife and I have been going to LaPaz Mexico the last few years. There's a pretty well known BBQ place that does a decent job on their custom rolling bbq rig. Kinda cool

Attachments

• image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 115
Here's another picture of the trailer. Yeah, it's a Chevy cab!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 116
Bbq brethren forum. I started with a UDS ( ugly drum smoker) and graduated to a big green egg. I still use and love the drum for pork butts. I do one for pulled pork sammies and do a second butt that after pulling, I put in small portions and freeze. Then I can pull a package out and add it to some beans for lunch, make a sandwich for work etc.
I am planning on building a UDS some time down the road. Just wondering...guessing you vacuum seal the frozen portions? If so how do you reheat? Have been told that placing the still sealed package in a pot of heated water, after it has thawed, will result in the same flavors that you had right after it was smoked.
Sorry if the above is hard to understand.

I have been playing with a smoker for a couple of years, here is how I prepare a few of my favorite.

Pork shoulder/butt and beef brisket, cut in the membrane with a knife and insert as much crushed garlic as you can. Double wrap in tin foil, smoke with the fat side up, do not flip the meat.
Ribs, smother in mustard, rub favorite flavor, double wrap in tin foil, cook with fat side up do not flip the meat.
Prepare all the above at least 12 hrs before smoking.

Whole chicken, my wife likes beer can style, soak chicken in marinade sauce, add raw onion to neck, cook with hard cider, lightly cover top of chicken with tin foil.

To me the tin foil keeps the meat moist.

As for regular grilling this makes a good dinner.

Baked potatoes, poke holes with large fork all over, wet down with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, wrap in tin foil. Cook on grill for 1-1.5 hrs at 350F depending on size.

Garlic bread, butter what ever bread you have around, sprinkle with garlic salt.

Steaks, slightly beat with cleaver, add McCormick Gill Mats Montreal Steak seasoning to each side.

When potatoes are done, remove and leave wrapped up, leave the grill at the same temperature, place the bread on the top rack of the grill and cook the steaks.
The bread will absorb some of the steak flavor.

Add favorite toppings to potato and steak.
Enjoy

Smoked 2 pounds of butter and 5 pounds of Colby Jack cheese today. Need to finish rubbing some Pork Bellies with Morton Tender Quick & brown sugar. Will have close to 22 pounds of bacon to smoke. Picked up another 20 pounds of pork butt. Going to pick up a chuck roast to smoke for Tamales. Seen someone had mentioned potatoes, need to find the recipe for twice smoked taters.

Smoked taters, never heard of that one.

Smoked taters easy.
Cube potatoes, in about 1" cubes.
Spray with olive oil, add a little butter, loosely wrap in tin foil.
Smoke about 1.0 to 1.5 hrs, check to see if done.
Sprinkle shredded cheese over top (I like Mexican 4 -cheese), smoke until cheese is melted, eat right out of foil.

Smoked taters easy.
Cube potatoes, in about 1" cubes.
Spray with olive oil, add a little butter, loosely wrap in tin foil.
Smoke about 1.0 to 1.5 hrs, check to see if done.
Sprinkle shredded cheese over top (I like Mexican 4 -cheese), smoke until cheese is melted, eat right out of foil.

I usually just bake a potatoe but the smoked way seems more fun.

I caught this by mistake in my tractor shed last week. Any ideas on how to smoke it? Biggest dang possum I ever saw!

Didn't forget about the taters, recipe is on my laptop and as soon as I sat down last night I had one of the Redbones on my lap. These are not cubed, and can be done in a conventional oven I believe.
Towards the end of the month will be smoking a chuck roast to make tamales. If anyone is interested I will post Ernestinas recipe, complete with pictures.
Will be home alone tomorrw, will be making some Atomic Buffalo Turds again...

-
Back