Fool-proof tips to fix any NO-SPARK issue

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Here are some time-proven tips that will help even the automotive novice diagnose and repair Mopar "no-spark" complaints:

1. Pony up a few bucks and buy a Factory Service Manual for your car. That does not mean Haynes, and it doesn't mean Chilton either. Those of us who have read through and use FSM's already know that they contain concise instructions regarding testing and disassembly/reassembly of every component in the ignition system.

If you took your Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth to the dealer back in the day and said "it won't start", that same general book is what the tech would use. If you are too cosmopolitan to turn pages and read books now, you can get them on a disc also.

2. Buy a digital multi-meter. A multi-meter is the cornerstone of any diagnosis and repair of automotive electrical systems. Without one you may as well be touching wires to your tongue to see if you get shocked.

Once you buy one, learn how to use it. On a car, all you need to really understand at first is how to measure voltage and resistance(ohms). If you can do that, you can figure out any kind of electrical issue there is. At least I have. I use meters to check fuses, bulbs, shorts to ground, circuit integrity, the list goes on.

You don't have to buy an expensive meter, either. I currently(currently.. get it? haha) use an el cheapo from Harbor Freight. I think it's the one they give away as a freebie sometimes. It works fine and has lasted approximately 1000 times longer than the $50 version I had before.

3. Stop playing parts replacement roulette. If you enjoy games of chance and trying your luck, take a trip to Las Vegas or Tunica instead of buying parts to "see if it fixes it".

When techs at any repair facility worth it's salt investigate no-starts or stalling or whatever the case may be, they NEVER "throw parts" at a problem. parts cost money and the repair shop would soon be out of business buying un-needed parts.

This business of being a parts-changer originated solely with people who either had no interest or patience to figure things out, or were simply too dumb to understand what they were doing.

4. Recognize sound advice when you receive it, instead of ignoring it and asking "anyone else?". The problem with that is that if you have 10 people reply, you'll get 10 opinions, a couple of which will be correct, a few in the ballpark, and one or 2 dangerous ones.

The problem after that is, people that participate in threads want more entertainment than actually education, so they tend to harangue anyone who gives a short, correct, educated answer. The result is that the guys who know their sh...stuff soon tire of that and leave or decline to answer questions.

5. Use the search feature. Again, I believe that refusal to use the search feature is due to impatience and maybe that the person feels they deserve personal attention to their problem. That's what therapists, manicurists and hairdressers are for, little lady.

I would be interested to know how many threads exist regarding ballast resistors and ECU boxes. but yet, they stilll.....ask.

6. Lastly....don't change the voltage regulator when you lose spark. You will get three results from that:

A: A car that still won't start.
B. Less money.
C. Realization that either or both you and whomever might have told you to replace it have no damn clue at all what you are doing.

In that order.

Have a good day.

Preach till you're blue in the face, but people just won't listen to common sense. I have resigned to no longer giving lengthy advice anymore. It's not worth it.

That said, great post.

Preach till you're blue in the face, but people just won't listen to common sense. I have resigned to no longer giving lengthy advice anymore. It's not worth it.

That said, great post.

I have definitely seen that around here but, I'm an exception! lol

When my alternator shorted out and I had no clue what I was doing, Del (67Dart273) walked me through PAGES of finding the root cause and WE ultimately got it fixed.

I'm grateful for all you guys (who are much more experienced than me) that take the time to help out the noobs when it's needed - it means a lot.

Don't think it goes unnoticed or unappreciated!

That's why Del doesn't hang out much anymore, I believe. You give known good advice.....advice that's worked well for decades and either get argued with by other members, or the member you're trying to help doesn't even acknowledge you and completely ignores you. I got better things to do.

That's why Del doesn't hang out much anymore, I believe. You give known good advice.....advice that's worked well for decades and either get argued with by other members, or the member you're trying to help doesn't even acknowledge you and completely ignores you. I got better things to do.

Yeah that is shitty when you take your time to give advice just to get ignored or challenged. Good advice goes a long way with most of us, but there are those few that flush it down the drain ....

-
Back