foot pump windsheild washer

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my foot pump washer doesn't work?
It worked fine till I changed the engine and painted the engine compartment.
Do I have to reprime the system to get it to work after three months ? It worked fine when I removed it? If I remove the water line off the tank and blow into it water squirts onto the windshield. I have been messing with it and can't quite figure out whats wrong? Thanks

Yes there are two water lines one comes from the tank to the pump then a smaller line goes to the squirter nipples. any thoughts it worked fine before I disconnected it for a few months now it just dribbles out the squirters.

Sounds like a loose fit on the line or a hole somewhere. Check the hoses where you pulled things loose for cracks and what not.

Then it could be sucking air between the foot pump and the tank. Oh, is there liquid in the tank? I still have the same setup on my car and it works fine, but I bet if I disturbed those old lines it might not.

I would venture a guess that there may be a tear in the line from the tank to the pump.

edit: It could be that you need to cut a short piece off of the line and put it back on the old rubber hoses probably have a stretched memory to them.

first I would inspect the lines for dry rot...and as was mentioned the old lines form fit to the stretched size of the nipple after being there for so long...so it wouldnt be a bad idea to cut off about a half inch from the ends of the lines where they connect to the ports ....that will get you back into unstretched and slightly rubberier line.

also make sure that the foot pump diaphragm is not cracked or anything.

make sure there are no holes in your washer jug also .

pull the lines off the washer jug and make sure the ports are clear of any debris and that fluid flows through.

make sure you can blow through the squirters and that they are not clogged up.

you can get a cheap hand pump vacuum tester. unhook the lines from the tank and plug the squirter openings and hook your vacuum hand pump upto one of the lines that would go to the tank and give it a few pumps and see if it holds the vacuum (if so then you know your lines are sealed and crack free from the tank back and that the problem is in the tank area) if the vacuum leaks down then you know the problem is from there back and you can keep working your way down the system.

its probably a simple fix though, just a matter of finding out where.

-
Back