Footbrake vs. Transbrake

-
Ya it’s light. Takes way less engine to run 9’s

My duster used to be 2550 with my son in it. I sold the fiberglass doors and installed stock doors with wind up windows, bigger fuel cell, alternator, bigger radiator, RacePak and wiring, and my fat butt.

My problem with foot brake is that the preload involved. We’ve worked hard to get our car to leave off the brake properly. I can’t imagine the FB numbers would compare. Last weekend we were 1.27-1.29 60 leaving off a 3800 setting and not even lifting a front tire.
I've figured out how to to leave off idle when footbraking and still cut a decent light and 60 ft. Years ago I raised my idle until I could cut a decent light leaving at flickering of 3rd yellow. 1 less thing to have to think about.

NHRA 340 stockers with less motor than you have( and 400-500 pounds heavier) go mid 1.3xx 60 foot off( or quicker) the footbrake.
So it isn’t that.
Injected alky makes a lot of extra torque too
Most of us use a 2 step to launch with. In my experience if i get the launch rpm to low the car does not 60ft good and my reaction time is not good, but my car has no torque with a 273.

I cant see a purpose for a brake on a 727, if I was launching at 5500 rpm I'd have to shift to 2nd before the 60 foot line or I'd have the wheels up 8 feet high (this is my imagination of course).
With a 2 step, foot braking and line lock will a car hold at 3500 rpm or is it going to creep ?
Pays now or pays later
Do it once, do it right, add the brake. Get it to hook and you will see more consistency and better times.

I’ll throw in 2.5 cents worth……

Friends 2950lb back half car……high 8’s at 150-ish.
Pontiac 540, TH400, 6000 stall.

Goes about the same FB or TB.
(Well within a tenth)

Why not the third method...... No brake!! Stage, go to neutral, rev to 6k and slam it into 1st !!!! Big ole' neutral drop!!!!

:lol:

Pays now or pays later
Do it once, do it right, add the brake. Get it to hook and you will see more consistency and better times.
I don't want to run a brake yet they seem to be much harder on parts & I can't afford to break anything for about 5 years lol & I don't mind having 2 of everything either. I'll probably do a brake on a project later.

I don't want to run a brake yet they seem to be much harder on parts & I can't afford to break anything for about 5 years lol & I don't mind having 2 of everything either. I'll probably do a brake on a project later.
They can be hard on the weak link parts. If you're not looking for the extra tenth or losing by 100ths then stick with the foot.
Most in the victory circle use a brake.

They can be hard on the weak link parts. If you're not looking for the extra tenth or losing by 100ths then stick with the foot.
I'm probably never going to lose....lol

Most of the time it isn’t going to be even close to a tenth. If anything.
There are a number of guys who footbrake that race in the big dollar events and win.
Nasty Nick Hastings being one of them, Kevin Pollard another. His little truck runs 5.30’s in the 1/8 off the foot. He unfortunately got it smashed by someone hitting him in the pits that wasn’t looking. Driving something else right now. There are others.

-
Back