? for Chrysler Trans tech

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Looking at a gas saver for the wife. The caliber has an automatic called an infinite variable auto. Whats your take on this trans and does it look durable. Will be used in a no towing around town situation predominately. ? is it good or junk.

I wonder about those, myself. I understand that it's good to keep the engine in it's power band, etc, but what about the transmissions themselves? They're like some sort of snowmobile "transmission".

A few years ago, they were the wave of the future, and everyone was going to be using them, but I haven't heard much lately. Everyone seems to be talking about 6 and 8 speed autos. Are they not working out as well as they thought?

I have a 2007 dodge caliber with that style trans. I have about 200k on that unit with no problems what so ever with the car , I do plan on getting another if they're still building them in 2014. BUT the rebuild cost for that trans is about 20% higher according to the trans shop in my area , I get about 28-30 mpg(my personel best) with the 2.0 and variable trans, but my wife somehow manages to get almost 31-32 driving the same car. it drives me nuts but she's a lot slower off of stops and stays steady in speeds.

Thanks 66 D thats the kind of review I was hoping for. Would like to hear from a few others.

I am a trans tech at our dealer and i have only replaced one for a bad bearing. Some have chain noise at slow speeds but they have been durable.

-
Back