for those that know paint

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..best method/paint for an original low gloss style black hood.
..i would like to do this myself.

Low gloss,or flat?If you have a spray gun,check out any paint jobber.Factory color blackout,is called Organisol.If rattle can bound, check out John Deere paints(at the dealership),or SEM products.

Or do some Rustoleum, tough paint, need UV protection though if its sunny all the time and you want it to last a while. Satin clear over flat black wound do the trick.

The proper way is flattening agent in clearcoat. Itsa beeatch! Hard to keep it from striping if you don't know what your doing!

if you use the sem products reduce it with a slower thinner that will help tiger stripeing it will give it time to flow out

If you have a bodyshop supply store in your area that carries the SprayMax aerosol can system. They make an awesome Blackout in 2 different Matt levels that covers 3 times faster then SEM and their spray nozzles on their cans spray like no other aerosol cans that I have ever used.

If you have a bodyshop supply store in your area that carries the SprayMax aerosol can system. They make an awesome Blackout in 2 different Matt levels that covers 3 times faster then SEM and their spray nozzles on their cans spray like no other aerosol cans that I have ever used.

SEM is a good product but I don't see good coverage with a rattle can!! No way you can get a even coat either reguardless of its tip.

SEM is a good product but I don't see good coverage with a rattle can!! No way you can get a even coat either reguardless of its tip.

Definitely not the way I would go either but if your determined to use an aerosol this might be your best shot at a passable finish. Best is to lay down some black base and some matt clear, or some single stage black with some matt additive.

The proper way is flattening agent in clearcoat. Itsa beeatch! Hard to keep it from striping if you don't know what your doing!

I agree, the best way to do it is adding a flattening agent in your clear. If spray front to back then left to right it will help with the striping, same with a metallic.

-
Back