For you dog lovers/owners please read

-

waynes72dart

Reaction score
Well today I was mowin my front yard, I saw a fellow walking his little dog he stoped for somthing the dog walked across the street , the dog was on one of those extendable leash's car came down the street before guy could react the car snaged the leash (was extended across it) poor dog got snatch up and was drug fifty feet or so down that road i thought the poor dog just had his neck broke but he walked away with some minor cuts and bumbs. but this is just a little warning about those darn leash's and dumb drivers so be safe with your furry family members .

I always hated those kind of leashes..... Most of them come with a thumb operated lock that prevents extending. This appears to owner error.

Sorry to hear about the dog.

Damn, I hate to see innocent animals hurt because of ignorant people, and both of them were ignorant. Glad the dog was OK but man people are incredibly callus or just stupid.

Not that it's necessary these days as mine is too old for concern, I have a double-loop leash that allows either 7' or 2' of leash depending on where you hold it. I can reel her in positively and hold her. Too bad people are careless with those extend able leads...

Glad the little guy is OK.

Frightening story!

Last year, I was walking my two dogs down a commercial street, and they were attacked by another dog on a retractable leash. (My boxer, Hemi, kicked that dog's *ss!) The owner's dog was on a retractable leash, and she was on her cell phone looking in a store window. Obviously, the thumb lock on her leash was not engaged.

In my dog accessories business, I offer a HUGE selection of leashes including retractable leashes. New dog owners often ask me for my take on retractable vs. standard 4' leashes. My response is, "If you PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DOG when you're out for a walk, a retractable leash can be fine. However if you want to talk on your cell phone, look in store windows, or if you're easily distracted, you should go with a standard 4' leash." I also try to dissuade people from allowing their children to walk the dog with a retractable leash. They can be downright dangerous. I'm not even a fan of 6' leashes which I think give a dog too much freedom in public.

That realy sucks. Good to here the little guy is ok. I don't have a leash for my dog. I live out in the middle of no where. When I go for a walk she just tages along and sees what critters she can stirr up. When I go to my grandmas house I use one of the horses lead ropes. My grandma hates it and says it makes the dog look unruly. LOL

-
Back