Ford 8.8 Questions

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
For those of us who don't want to shorten an Explorer 8.8, is there any 8.8 rearend that is approximately the same size as my '75 A-Body 8.25"? I've tried to compare widths doing searches, but ford guys measure 8.8 wheel mounting surface (WMS) to WMS, while Mopar guys measure flange to flange, apples to oranges. My '75 8.25" is supposed to be 59.25" flange to flange. I want to stay with the 5X4.5" bolt pattern, hence the interest in the 8.8 swap. I'm sure somebody here has figured this out?

From what I understand they don’t have to be shortened you just get rims with the backspacing to fit. I shortened mine because I like my rims. There’s a member that did it in his duster. I’ll see if I can find the thread

8.8 Swap Video

In the video he has a drum brake 8.8. I don’t think there is a big difference in the length.
Best thing to do is go to the Pick N pull and measure one yourself. That’s the best bet. Some junk yards around here have them pulled already. So you maybe able to call and ask.

Last edited:
Explorer Axle codes
IMG_5099.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for posting this! I'm wondering if the 87-93 Mustang 8.8 will fit. I know it has 4-lug axles, but I'm thinking 5-lug aftermarket or ranger axles with an appropriate drum brake. I think I need to get a tape measurer and compare some different options.

so here's all the mopar axle specs:

here's the 8.8 specs:

if you're fine with drums, the best bet seems to be the early ranger setup. obviously, you'll need to move perches. however, there are *some* brake combos that the back side of the drum *might* cause interference with stock located leafs. (i have not tested this). but all the other rear end swap stuff is old hat: shock plates, u bolts, shorten drive shaft. the pinion is *slightly* off center more than the mopar stuff, but unless you have giant exhaust the clearance should be fine. should. maybe. probably.

5 lug aftermarket axles are spendy, just fyi. the mustang swap is the same boogie of different length axles, so you'll need a left side out of a ranger which... good luck, the skittering yard demons know this and snatch them all up. including, likely from the ranger rearend you are planning on pulling...

for my money, the explorer 8.8 seems like the better bet. it's a little more lift in the fab department but you get the benefit of discs, parts availability and cost, likelihood of finding the gear ratio you want in an LSD and typically explorers aren't beat to death like trucks are.

-
Back